Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader >

Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader

Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
Good luck with the Triple Se7en powder. I just purchased some Thompson Center 300 grain XTP's with Mag Express sabots myself. I don't have any Triple Se7en powder but I have some Triple Se7en pellets. Keep in touch in this thread and we'll compare notes.
Like i mentioned to the poster, in most cases having a pack of crushed ribs and mmp-24's cover most rifles and are good to have on hand.. Ray
Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Pursuit XLT 2 just before muzzle loader season last year so I didn't have time to experiment. I used the same load I was using in my Omega. 110 gr. of loose T7, Win. T7 primer, and T/C 250 gr. Shock Wave. Shot good enough that I will stick with this combo.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Spike

I know this is an old thread but I love my TPII. I have not tried a ton of different combinations but I have some tinkering under my belt.

240gr XTP(.430)
90gr BH209
Green MMP
CCI209

This is the first load I settled on a couple of years ago. Very accurate at 100yd. I was afraid that I would be pushing the limit of the non-mag XTP at close ranges so I moved away from it.

Barnes 225gr XPB(.429)
Crushed Rib Green

Never found the sweet spot with this one. When I say that, it was still a 3" shooter at 100yd. I would get two good and it would(or I would) throw one. I felt like it just loaded too easily with the crushed rib. I didn't have any mmp at the time. I may go back and tinker with this bullet. It has a great BC for a .429.

Barnes 250 Expander
110gr BH209
Crushed Rib Black

I started this load development with MMP sabots because of my experience with the XPB/CR combo and the fact that's what comes with them in the package. :-) They were terrible, I mean terrible to load. Like before, I would get a decent two shot group at time but never felt great about it. This coupled with me being exhausted after reloading turned me back to the CR sabot. Again, it loaded so I easily that I had zero expectations of the sabot switch working out. I was really, really wrong. You will see some of the patched holes in the target from mmp sabot loads. The target will show the only three shot group I made with the CR sabots. Now granted, this is off of a Caldwell lead sled so don't go praising my marksmanship because I truly am a terrible shot.

http://flic.kr/p/b9N9Xa
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by I Call it Maize
I know this is an old thread but I love my TPII. I have not tried a ton of different combinations but I have some tinkering under my belt.

240gr XTP(.430)
90gr BH209
Green MMP
CCI209

This is the first load I settled on a couple of years ago. Very accurate at 100yd. I was afraid that I would be pushing the limit of the non-mag XTP at close ranges so I moved away from it.

Barnes 225gr XPB(.429)
Crushed Rib Green

Never found the sweet spot with this one. When I say that, it was still a 3" shooter at 100yd. I would get two good and it would(or I would) throw one. I felt like it just loaded too easily with the crushed rib. I didn't have any mmp at the time. I may go back and tinker with this bullet. It has a great BC for a .429.

Barnes 250 Expander
110gr BH209
Crushed Rib Black

I started this load development with MMP sabots because of my experience with the XPB/CR combo and the fact that's what comes with them in the package. :-) They were terrible, I mean terrible to load. Like before, I would get a decent two shot group at time but never felt great about it. This coupled with me being exhausted after reloading turned me back to the CR sabot. Again, it loaded so I easily that I had zero expectations of the sabot switch working out. I was really, really wrong. You will see some of the patched holes in the target from mmp sabot loads. The target will show the only three shot group I made with the CR sabots. Now granted, this is off of a Caldwell lead sled so don't go praising my marksmanship because I truly am a terrible shot.

http://flic.kr/p/b9N9Xa
Buy a pack of the harvester "smooth" sabots and give them a try, since the CR was to loose and the mmp don't seem to do the job either.