Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No.11 percussion cap memory lane >

No.11 percussion cap memory lane

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No.11 percussion cap memory lane

Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default No.11 percussion cap memory lane

It was a beauitiful day here in Siberia...er Michigan today. Mid 30's without a cloud in the sky! I broke out my very first ML, a Knight BK92. I have shot a lot of deer with that rifle and it alway delivers the accuracy. Over the years I have upgraded the rifle to MK85 standards. I upgraded the sights and added a metal trigger guard. The only plastic part left is the ram rod thimble and I am looking for a replacement for that one.

Anyway, I decided to break out the unused can of Goex Pinnacle I have on hand. I also pulled all the crap conicals I have on hand. It was a collection of TC Maxi Hunters and CVA conicals. (Those CVAs were the only bullet that I was never able to get to work with the BK92. All other sabots and conicals all perform acceptably. The rifle just hates that bullet.)

To be honest, I had forgotten how fun that rifle is with percussion caps. It still fires first time every time. The Pinnacle was really great powder. I fired 20 rounds with no swabbing. Clean-up was super easy, Hoppes #9 did the trick quickly.

I have a lot of confidence in this rifle. I can hold 4" at 100 yards with the open sights.

All in all, it was just a fun day at the range. I guess this is why I stay with muzzleloading year after year. I really enjoy my CF and RF firearms. But I really love muzzleloading.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Some of these old rifles are just fun to play with. I am always amazed by how accurate the older rifles are. And a good #11 cap always works for me. These January temps have been unreal. I miss the snow but not the sub zero cold.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dutch

I love shooting my MK-85 with caps.... I have a 209 conversion for it but I just like shooting that gun with a #11 mag and 110 grains of T7-3f.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

The caps with the rifle are just too much fun. I will use the Pinnacle until it is gone, then I am going to search for some Swiss BP and/or give Black MZ a try. I don't thing the BK92 will see the 209 conversion kit any time soon.

BTW, I am wishing for some snow as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
The caps with the rifle are just too much fun. I will use the Pinnacle until it is gone, then I am going to search for some Swiss BP and/or give Black MZ a try. I don't thing the BK92 will see the 209 conversion kit any time soon.

BTW, I am wishing for some snow as well.
Swiss is really nice stuff but very hard to find here in fact almost impossible...

Remember Black MZ is nothing more than APP powder re-branded although the have made it a bit more strong. It still comes with condensation packs in the powder and it still clumps in time once it has been opened.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got this deer with a BK92. I still have the gun and it gets the job done. It is mostly a loaner gun now that I have the Hot Rod Renegads and Hot Rod Hawkens. Ron

Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gave up shooting Cap Guns, but yes, Oh the Memories.............
(BP)