Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader >

Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader

Old 04-29-2011, 06:14 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader

I have a Traditions Pursuit II XLT Extreme Break-Open Muzzleloader .50 Caliber and just started shooting last fall. I did not have much time to try out different bullets as I hunted with it a few days after purchase. But this summer I would like to find a good combo of bullets and pellets. Currently I have Jim Shockey's Gold brand square stick pellets - I use two 50 grains and Power Belt bullets. I was not really impressed with the accuracy, however I shoot the open sites (for now). I would like to put on a low power scope and then stick with one ammo type and get this gun sited in nicely, at least for 50 yd shots in our muzzleloader season.

Suggestions?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if you want to shoot pellets.. try the Pyrodex RS. And pick up some 250 grain shockwaves and 250 grain Hornady XTPs and try them with 100 grains of pellets.

If you want.. get loose Pyrodex RS and try 90 grains and those same two bullets suggested. For 50 yard shooting the XTP is all the hunting bullet I would think you need for deer.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'll second the XTP. But I use the 300 grain. I don't know about your breech plug but it its compatible I'd try Blackhorn 209.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Is the bullet shown at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=434666 the correct one to use? Jacketed or unjacketed?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Those are the right ones. However its cheaper to buy the bullets and sabots separate. Look for pistol bullets hornady xtp mag with .452 dia. Find a sabots that fits that dia. Mmp or harvester.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

The Pursuit I had shot great with 100 gr (volume)T7 fffg, or 2 50 gr pellets I never tried Blackhorn in it before I sold it.I shot 250 gr TEZ s with these loads and the did very well .
Old 04-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have posts all over this board regarding the Pursuit. Check them out and you will see targets with load data on them. I just posted some targets from yesterday in my last post. But to make a long story short, I found that 2, 50 grain Pyrodex pellets under a 240 grain XTP with a Thompson Center Mag Express sabot seems to shoot the best out of my Pursuit. You can find the bullet and sabot in a combo pack or you can buy them seperate. Here's one of the better targets.
The shot to the left was the first shot and was a bad load. The 3 shot group by the bulls eye were shots 2, 3, and 4.

Last edited by pluckit; 04-30-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

pluckit, that is a pretty nice group for a muzzleloader at 100 yds! Are you using a scope?
Would the product shown at https://secure.tcarms.com/store/mag-...t-no-8246.html work? I think I will get the pellets at a local supply store - the shipping cost for them is crazy with the new laws governing shipping such things.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
pluckit, that is a pretty nice group for a muzzleloader at 100 yds! Are you using a scope?
Would the product shown at https://secure.tcarms.com/store/mag-...t-no-8246.html work? I think I will get the pellets at a local supply store - the shipping cost for them is crazy with the new laws governing shipping such things.
That's them. Just different packaging. They are really not that expensive in the combo pack like that. What, 50 cents each? And XTP's put a hurtin' on a deer.
I should order some myself, I'm all out.
Yes, I have a scope on my Pursuit. It came with one. A 2x7x32mm.
It has a 28 inch 1 in 28 inch twist fluted and ported barrel.

Last edited by pluckit; 05-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what you should be doing at the least at 50 yards with open sights with that load.

Last edited by pluckit; 04-30-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.