Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
BTW i would expect another first to be coming if the rumors are true...and its pretty damn nice from the talks ive had. AND NO DO NOT PM me for what it is.
Awww c'mon, Gm. You can tell us, we PROMISE we will keep it a secret! Lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are going to have to wait and see just like me.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I can say Fiocchi primers I have seen tested are milder then T7 primers and I have used them to ignite BH209 and a friend uses them exclusively. I have about 30 T7 primers left and when the .45 Omega makes its next range trip I will use some. I plan on buying no more T7 primers as I have found they are dirty and do nothing to help with the crud ring anyway when using T7...........and they cost twice as much as regular primers. Even if T7 primers functioned flawlessly in my gun I would still use a full strength primer for hunting for the added ignition security. That goes for any inline I have in the safe. Western Powders recommends a full strength primer anyway so why take the chance. Range work is one thing testing a plug out with mild primers but sitting with a loaded gun in sub freezing temps for hours is different then load and fire.

The way I see it TC was ahead of their time with the Omega plug and did not need to redesign a new one for BH209.

Title of post is misleading. Most of us already know the Lehigh plug was designed for BH209 and Knight DISC based rifles before Knight had new owners.

BTW: $70.00 for a rangerod? $70.00 buys alot of bullets and sabots IMO. I have no problem using the supplied rods with a Spinjag or RATT Jag for loading. Just my .02 on the rod. If it was priced within reason I would purchase one though.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one of the rods. I doubt they could sell for too much less and be profitable. They really are that nice for the range. They are overpriced and IMO a lower price could increase sales volume to increase the profits. Many of us were not happy with the price.

I only used the WinT7s to prove a point and in my Lehigh plug they were not dirty at all. Even the channel was pretty clean after 50 shots in 2 guns. You've seen the pics. I don't use them for hunting either, i use almost all Win209s and if its really cold i use the Feds.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

The post is not misleading at all. I dont consider a ML BH209 compatible if you do certain steps to make it so. I want to take it right out of the box and do normal maintenance and have a reliable ML. The Triumph failed miserably with many witnesses in Kentucky.

The Triumph is an Awesome ML. I just wont trust it with BH209 and a factory plug. The last thing i need is a delay.

As far as the rod, i was hoping it would sale for $59.99. I think when it's in sporting good stores it will. But still at $75.00 bucks it's way better then anything i have seen on the market.

The Knight Disc Elite was one of the most accurate Muzzleloaders ever made right out of the box. The new Mountaineer i believe will follow right in it's foot steps with some improvements. That's hard to believe but true.

There are a few of us pushing Knight to make some barrel twist changes and offer a 45cal Mountaineer. It all takes time and i havent heard them say no yet.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Designed or not,T/C BP's work excellent with BH209.the Lehigh design is excellent also.the triumph BP will work flawlessly from the factory with BH209 and proper cleaning. which as i stated earlier is required with any BP using BH209.again Knight is on the right track with offering the Lehigh BP. Ray.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
..........................Ive even burned 2 boxes of WinT7 primers just to prove how well it works with BH209. I wonder how well the T/C plug would work with the same primer? It should work fine but ive never seen any reports...........................
Myself, i have tried the 777 primer in my TC rifle, and also in my CVA rifle when using BH. I experienced poor ignition, and do not recommend their use, to ignite BH. I do not use them at all, unless i happen to be testing 777 powder. I don't use magnum primer, and i have zero issues igniting BH in any of my rifles. However, i would never advise the use of the 777 primer to ignite BH.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think what Grouse might have said in a different manner is that Knight is the first company to bring a rifle to the market place that the breech plug was designed and tested to shoot BH-209 reliably and for extended periods of time without maintenance.

Ray, as for the TC plugs, the Omega and Triumph plugs will shoot BH reliably out of the box, however, they will not do that over an extended period of time without drilling the plug out at some interval.

Western believes the Omega plug to be the best BH factory plug on the market (at the time), but in their estimation the Triumph plug is borderline in the long run. They would prefer that it were re-designed also and in fact have contacted other people about that possibility.

The Rod, I hate the cost of the rod, but once you have and use it, the cost becomes one-of-those-things you somehow ignore. If you are an occasional shooter you would probably have no need of the rod...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ronlaughlin

I don't recommend them either but the fact is that they worked flawlessly in temps from 30ish-70F in the Lehigh designed plug and even in some you made for me. These are not common hunting temps for a large part the country but in Missouri they are common some years.

I only did it to push the limits of the plug design with bullets from 180gr to 385gr in three different calibers. Not one had an issue or excessive carbon build up. Fiochii primers will not fit my Lehigh or i would have tried them too. They worked fine in the modded CVA plug also.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The post is not misleading at all. I dont consider a ML BH209 compatible if you do certain steps to make it so. I want to take it right out of the box and do normal maintenance and have a reliable ML. The Triumph failed miserably with many witnesses in Kentucky.

The Triumph is an Awesome ML. I just wont trust it with BH209 and a factory plug. The last thing i need is a delay.

As far as the rod, i was hoping it would sale for $59.99. I think when it's in sporting good stores it will. But still at $75.00 bucks it's way better then anything i have seen on the market.

The Knight Disc Elite was one of the most accurate Muzzleloaders ever made right out of the box. The new Mountaineer i believe will follow right in it's foot steps with some improvements. That's hard to believe but true.

There are a few of us pushing Knight to make some barrel twist changes and offer a 45cal Mountaineer. It all takes time and i havent heard them say no yet.
I have a Triumph. Zero issues with BH209 no modification to the breech plug. TC Encore .45 barrel I have in classifieds never misfired with just under 100 rounds before I decided to sell. Normal BP maintenance was taken with these plugs and no problems whatsoever. I had a hangfire at the range with the Lehigh plug at the range once in my 54-120. I blame it on not letting the barrel cool down while shooting on a hot day. I see you like Knight and that is fine. They were not first to make a BP 100% reliable in my eyes. We all have opinions and you know what opinions are like............

GM54-120,
I forgot my .45 Omega plug had been opened to .035 by the previous owner. I have a new plug ready to go in it unmodified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.