Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Tom,
Can you explain a few mods that were done on Knights new BH friendly breech plugs.
They opened up the flame channel, and are using a .031 flash hole with a lot better material then the old so it will last longer. This stands true for the Mountaineer and the replacement plugs for the Elite and Extreme. The primer holder in the Extreme plug has been enhanced as well to.

I believe in the near future they are also going to up grade the red plastic jacket plugs as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They built a BP sub in a rifle designed to use smokeless powder?

Makes no sense.
To tell you the truth, western powders never had a Savage. I believe the people who made the product tested it with a Savage but not sure??? Maybe it was Toby Bridges????
Old 04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
To tell you the truth, western powders never had a Savage. I believe the people who made the product tested it with a Savage but not sure??? Maybe it was Toby Bridges????
Toby did test the early powder in his Knight. I never read him shooting a Savage, but who knows?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
MountainDevil54

BTW its not that you promote a product and it never was. Its the unwavering bias you display here because of freebies/compensation and with all your "ad like" photos and "Infomercial type" videos. Statements like "A CVA will do anything a White or Knight will do" is ridiculous. Even i wouldn't say my Knights would compete in EVERY way with a White. They might compete well but not quite as well if you want to shoot huge conicals in 45 or 50cal.

Even i will recommend a CVA if that is what the OP wants. Ive never said get a Knight instead if the OP ONLY wanted opinions on which CVA to buy. I like the new Optima best in their lineup actually or if they offered a 45cal Wolf i would likely buy one in a blink.

I cant say ive seen you break from tradition and recommend another brand over a CVA or favor another brand over any CVA product. You even tried/trying to sell the Lyman Great Plains rifle even though its is superior over the Mountain stalker in quality. I know its hard when Dudley sent you atleast two CVAs for free according to your own words.

Please correct me or prove my statement wrong and i will recant it.
I stand by my statement that my CVA will do everything a knight or white can do.

I sold my great plains rifle so i could put in for the NM deer season

My Mountain Stalker is up for sale now actually mainly to help me out with buying some new camo clothing.

Knight can send me a rifle for free, i'll give them or any other rifle company a complete and honest review of the rifle and shoot the heck out of it.

CVA also gave me a range rod, but i prefer Tom's range rod as you can see it in most of my videos and pictures LOL.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
............................Knight can send me a rifle for free, i'll give them or any other rifle company a complete and honest review of the rifle and shoot the heck out of it............................................
So................how come you didn't give my breech plug a 'complete and honest review'? As i recall you stood on 2 statements. One was, 'the primer pocket was too deep'. This was and is false. The second was 'it wouldn't thread into your barrel'. This obviously was false, otherwise you couldn't have collected data to make the first false statement. Shame on you!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
So................how come you didn't give my breech plug a 'complete and honest review'? As i recall you stood on 2 statements. One was, 'the primer pocket was too deep'. This was and is false. The second was 'it wouldn't thread into your barrel'. This obviously was false, otherwise you couldn't have collected data to make the first false statement. Shame on you!
We've already gone through this. That first plug was jacked up and everyone who saw the pic knew the threads were not right at all. It would thread tightly and roughly into my accura's barrel. No plug should ever be like that.

And even though it was horrible to screw into the barrel, i still shot it to test it out.

Adjusting your head spacing correctly of course fixes the mess. The added length you do is always a good idea as its well know that cva leaves looser clearances to allow for longer primers like the W209.
See how much that firing pin bushing is backed out? Theres no telling how much adjustment a persons rifle needs without actually having it there to take measurements and get the perfect fit.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I stand by my statement that my CVA will do everything a knight or white can do.
Im sure next you will say they will compete with a smokeless ML too in EVERY WAY. Keep telling yourself that because that is the only person you are convincing.

I guess if you could tolerate some recoil with heavy 460gr+ conicals you might find out......someday.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-04-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can believe RW

Still, if this was a few years ago, personally I’d find the lack of smokeless capability in the 10ML-BP more of a negative than I do today. The difference is the introduction of a new class of blackpowder substitutes from Western Powders: Blackhorn 209. In fact, it was a factory Savage 10ML-II barrel that was used for load development of Blackhorn 209. The only consideration with Blackhorn 209 is that it needs an efficient breechplug system for perfect ignition, as you quickly realize from the name of the propellant. As the Savage 10ML has the most efficient breechplug and sealed action on the market, Blackhorn 209 and this rifle are a great match.
The Savage came out 4-6 years before BH209 BTW. Savage offered a "BP only" version the same year BH209 came out IIRC too. They were the first to have BH209 in the load data also. Just pull up the MLII-BP pdf file on the Savage website. Ive never seen it listed in any other companies load data but i haven't seen all of them.

Why in a Savage?...because BH209 is basically a smokeless powder and no other ML barrel was tested to over 100k psi. Every Savage barrel is test fired and tested so it makes perfect sense for safety reasons.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
If you can believe RW

The Savage came out 4-6 years before BH209 BTW. Savage offered a "BP only" version the same year IIRC too.

Why in a Savage?...because BH209 is basically a smokeless powder and no other ML barrel was tested to over 100k psi. Every Savage barrel is test fired and tested so it makes perfect sense for safety reasons.
It still confuses me. Why test it in a barrel that's stronger than what the majority will be using?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savage offered a BP "only" version the same year BH209 was released. Its actually the same gun with a longer barrel but still the same quality as the smokeless barrel. The breach plug design probably had something to do with it too. The same year Savage changed their BP design a little bit for easier removal.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-04-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.