Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
They are not a reliable or safe way to make a vent-liner. You have nothing to protect it from heat or fire. And you cant even harden that material. The stock savage vent-liners are a much better way to go.

The reason why i say stuff is because what you do is wrong. As long as the people no and choose to use your stuff i could care less. The information has been provided and people can check and do what they choose.

You clearly don't worry about safety. And i no your not going to change. So don't keep asking why it's not safe. In comparison to others it is not and never will be period.
Stainless steel is naturally resistant to corrosion, hence the name 'stainless'. What this means is, nothing needs to be done to protect it from heat and fire; stainless is made to resist fire i.e. oxidation. You keep repeating that these screws can't be hardened. So, i guess i will repeat, in my opinion you, yourself, couldn't drill a hole through one of these screws in a week's time, because they are naturally hard, and do not need to be 'hardened'. If you had any real world experience working stainless, you would never say that 18-8 steel is 'soft'.

Do you think that by using bold print and large type, you can change false information into true information?!? It doesn't work that way.

You are the one that wrote that the steel used in these ventliners is rated for 80,000 psi. This means to me, that these stainless ventliners are a way stronger than a normal muzzle loader barrel, and in fact, would be able to withstand the pressure of a smokeless magnum cartridge. I fail to understand why you then continue to write, they are unsafe, when in reality, they are a way stronger than the pressures that occur, in a muzzle loader at ignition.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The yield strength of 18-8 Stainless that Ronlaughlin uses is 80,000 psi.

Wouldn't that be something like more than double the possible pressure in a muzzleloader?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane

Wouldn't that be something like more than double the possible pressure in a muzzleloader?
In normal circumstances yes. A double load or a rod left in the barrel could exceed that very easily.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Stainless steel is naturally resistant to corrosion, hence the name 'stainless'. What this means is, nothing needs to be done to protect it from heat and fire; stainless is made to resist fire i.e. oxidation. You keep repeating that these screws can't be hardened. So, i guess i will repeat, in my opinion you, yourself, couldn't drill a hole through one of these screws in a week's time, because they are naturally hard, and do not need to be 'hardened'. If you had any real world experience working stainless, you would never say that 18-8 steel is 'soft'.

Do you think that by using bold print and large type, you can change false information into true information?!? It doesn't work that way.

You are the one that wrote that the steel used in these ventliners is rated for 80,000 psi. This means to me, that these stainless ventliners are a way stronger than a normal muzzle loader barrel, and in fact, would be able to withstand the pressure of a smokeless magnum cartridge. I fail to understand why you then continue to write, they are unsafe, when in reality, they are a way stronger than the pressures that occur, in a muzzle loader at ignition.
Maybe you will understand if i right small.

18-8 in comparison to what is available is soft and week. If you or any other person thinks thats safe enough have fun and enjoy. I would spend $3.00 bucks and use a much safer vent-liner from savage.

If you think for one minute i would drill out vent-liners and brake bits like you claim for a $5.00 vent-liner that i have not worn out yet, your crazy.

I have talked to Lehigh about the metals mentioned, i also talked to a company in china, and also got info from a company in the U.S. In comparison to whats available 18-8 is week and soft.

If you want to sale a bunch of vent-liners and run around and say how good they are. Just buy some grade 8 screws and have fun.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

.............................have fun.
OK, i will do my best. It is good that you made all those calls, and found that my ventliner are safe to use.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

In normal circumstances yes. A double load or a rod left in the barrel could exceed that very easily.
So, unless you're an idiot who double loads their gun, or an even more of an idiot who shoots it with the ramrod in the barrel.

It's ok?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
So, unless you're an idiot who double loads their gun, or an even more of an idiot who shoots it with the ramrod in the barrel.

It's ok?
Well, it has been done more than most would ever think about... especially the doulble loading. Not many talk about it but even some of the best can relate an episode... if you do any any shooting at all.

And it really doesn't take an idiot - you wuld be surprised how many vets have done it on occasions.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Well, it has been done more than most would ever think about... especially the doulble loading. Not many talk about it but even some of the best can relate an episode... if you do any any shooting at all.

And it really doesn't take an idiot - you wuld be surprised how many vets have done it on occasions.
I understand, but you don't have to build something strong enough to withstand twice what it's designed to do.

If someone screws up and double loads their gun and it has problems. Who's fault is that?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

It's ok?
We all can make mistakes very easily. Even though the mistakes we make are stupid.

You take a centerfire rifle for example. I myself do not know how i could ever double load one. I'm sure someone will say it's very easy to. I have no clue how to do it by accident.

My point is, a Muzzleloader that can happen very easily. That's why i think it's even more important to have quality parts and quality guns that have been tested and proven reliable and safe.

So for me it would not be ok.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all can make mistakes very easily. Even though the mistakes we make are stupid.

You take a centerfire rifle for example. I myself do not know how i could ever double load one. I'm sure someone will say it's very easy to. I have no clue how to do it by accident.

My point is, a Muzzleloader that can happen very easily. That's why i think it's even more important to have quality parts and quality guns that have been tested and proven reliable and safe.

So for me it would not be ok.
It can happen with a CF gun easily if you reload your own ammo. It has been done, and the gun had problems. Can you blame the manufacturer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.