Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
As a sidenote. Anybody have a problem with the ramrod popping off the lock when fired on the Omega?

I've tried adjusting the setscrew everywhere, and TC even sent me a new setscrew and ramrod, but it still pops off.

TC says to send the gun back, and they'd probably send me a new gun, but this one is too accurate with Thors to let go.
I have an X7 with the same problem. Basically every time I shoot, the ramrod pops forward. It did not happen at first and I figured it was my fault by fiddling with the screws on the lugs. Been too lazy to try to fix.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I seeth what you are talking about... never even knew that was there.

I can adjust mine with a 3/32" allen wrench to what ever depth i want. In fact I can screw mine in deep enough that it almost falls out. Is yours bottoming out on something?

If it is again you could go to the hardware store pick up a longer set screw and install it. Use a bit of blue lock tite or BP grease to hold it in place after you get it set to the depth you want.
The screw is fine. I can tighten it enough to lock the rod in, and it came with a compound on the threads to keep it from moving off the adjustment. It's something else causing it.

If I could always remember to snap it back in after a shot it would be no problem. I'll need to work on that.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's an adjusting screw in the lug by the breech. The rod snaps into it. If it pops out of it the rod can slide out. I dropped it in the snow a couple of times and had to go back and find it.

If I can remember, i'll snap it back in after firing the gun, but sometimes I forget.
Reloading, before making a move, cures this issue. Doesn't everybody reload immediately?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not at the end of the day.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Reloading, before making a move, cures this issue. Doesn't everybody reload immediately?
My problem is at the range where I keep the rod in the rifle since I use a dedicated range rod. I don't take the rod out of the rifle at the range because I don't know if it would make a difference in the point of aim/impact. So, after every shot, I have to pop the rod back in.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
My problem is at the range where I keep the rod in the rifle since I use a dedicated range rod. I don't take the rod out of the rifle at the range because I don't know if it would make a difference in the point of aim/impact. So, after every shot, I have to pop the rod back in.
My experience exactly. After every shot i have to 'pop the rod back in'.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, this is a common problem? Is it the weight of the solid rods TC uses? Maybe the stiffness?

The Hickory rods on my sidelocks always stay put.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, this is a common problem? Is it the weight of the solid rods TC uses? Maybe the stiffness?

The Hickory rods on my sidelocks always stay put.
It is like the old magic trick where the table cloth is jerked out from under the dishes, and they all stay put. The igniting powder and exiting bullet push the rifle abruptly back, and the ram rod stays put.

It appears the answer is 'weight'. As an aside, the hollow CVA rod in my V2 does the same thing, however in CVA rifles there is no lock. In my CVA rifles, friction is what holds the ramrod in place or not.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The screw is fine. I can tighten it enough to lock the rod in, and it came with a compound on the threads to keep it from moving off the adjustment. It's something else causing it.

If I could always remember to snap it back in after a shot it would be no problem. I'll need to work on that.
Good enough... then you are normal mine does the same thing when I use the solid TC rod, but I normally switch that out with a light weight rod when hunting and do not get that problem near as often...

One way to reduce that problem is to reduce the load so there is no recoil then one of Newtons Laws would not a pply - you know the one about 'equal and opposite reaction'. Just so you know i am saying that with a smile on my face
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
builder459

You might be surprised how little maintenance a Lehigh BP needs to be problem free. I know for sure of at least 2 50 shot strings without a hiccup and the channel still had a ton of room left. I haven't had even the slightest hang fire yet without a mag primer too.
That's impressive. As much as I love my TC ProHunter you cannot do that with it and BH 209.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.