Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
JSG Super Powder Tested >

JSG Super Powder Tested

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JSG Super Powder Tested

Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default JSG Super Powder Tested

I put this on MM but figured some may not be members over there.

I got the JSG Super Powder yesterday afternoon. It snowed and rained last night while I was working but I really wanted to test this stuff out. I slept for a few hours this morning and headed to the range around 11am. 40 degrees and raining but basically no wind. I shoot from undercover so the rain was not much of a concern to me. I decided to shoot from 50yds to test the new powder and not get soaked with rain and slop through the mud another 50yds to hang targets. Gun used was TC Pro Hunter with new .45 Encore Bergara barrel. No Chrony data due to the rain.

Here is what I found out about this powder:

The first shot loaded well. The following loads had problems. One was a short starter was needed to push the bullet through the reverse crud ring at the muzzle after just a few shots. The bullet would then basically fly down the bore until it hit a second crud ring by the breech plug and alot of pressure was needed to seat the bullet firmly on the charge. This powder leaves a nasty black residue in the bore and it took numerous patches for clean up. Definitely needs more then H2O for cleaning. I actually had to hit the bore with a bore brush then use Shooters Ridge Bore Solvent. Groups were absolutely horrible for 50yds. My ideal 50yd group is ONE hole off a solid rest. This could not be accomplished even off my Lead Sled with powder charges of 90 and 100grs using a 200gr SST in supplied MMP sabot and Harvester smooth sabot. I took no pictures because no groups were photo worthy. Average groups were 2". IMO this stuff is worse then JSG 3f that I recently tested. This stuff would probably benefit from swabbing between shots but that is not how APP states to shoot it.

I will be curious to see how Sabotloader and GM54-120 make out with it once they hit the range.

Last edited by Omega45; 03-31-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Good test, thanks for reporting your experience with this.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that's disappointing. Thanks for the report. Maybe they meant "JSG SorryPowder".
Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I got a few names it should be called but will refrain from posting them on here!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
mountaineer magic

I guess you could say that APP is consistant. It must not be the old pinnacle they made for Goex before the buyout.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM
mountaineer magic

one thing I've learned over the years is if you want a good group using JSG you need to shoot one shot groups.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

since when does one outing with a few hours sleep, set it in stone?

What primers did you use?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

Primers are not the issue. if he used 2 or 3 different primers shooting one group maybe he would have multiple POI'S. he gave it a shot and his opinion, now we wait for others. Ray
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

well we members would like more info IMO.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

Win209's and Fiocchi's. It's 50yds off a lead sled???? Sleep is overrated anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.