Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
bullet regulations >

bullet regulations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet regulations

Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK allows the hunting of deer (and elk) with muzzleloading rifles and pistols of at least .40 caliber.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Non lead for migratory game birds, 22 center fire or larger for deer, 40 caliber or larger for Muzzle loading deer. The only Bullet restriction I know of in AR is no full metal jackets for hunting. The other two restrictions on muzzleloaders are that they must load only from the muzzle and that they can not except a cartridge case full or empty.
Lee is correct about the restrictions for ml and rifles. As for hooks with barbs, the only restriction I am aware of is barbless hooks must be used in the tail waters of Bull Shoals dam to protect trophy brown trout. Its a catch and release at certain times of the year. To my knowledge lead shot is still allowed to dove hunt. Arkansas is pretty liberal with regulations on most things, but that may change in the near future.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I fish the North Fork of the White river quite often. (below lake Norfolk) The first section has only normal regulations. After that you have a stretch that is heavily regulated including no live or rubber bait, plus catch and release. In Missouri Taney-Como has a similar set of regulations but they allow 2 fish in a "slot size". These regs change occasionally. Right now its anywhere above Fall Creek is considered the "fly fishing" area but treble hooks are still allowed or were allowed. Im not up on the latest Mo regs since i go trout fishing mainly in Arkansas near Mountain Home at the first lodge below the damn.

Regs also vary according to the kind of trout, Brookies Browns, Rainbows and Cutthrouts. Rainbows are a 5 fish free for all mostly. The others have size and/or a 2 fish limit. One year the Brookies were thick and we spent all day catching ones just barely under the 14 or 15" limit. It was great fun though and ive never seen that many Brookies. Im actually just barely off of the record for a Cutthroat in that area and i released him to get my C&R lunker hat pin.

We also have "wild trout" management areas and each have their own regs. Some are catch and release with no barbs or trebles. A few just have a "slot size" and limit you to 2 fish within that size. Between 18-22" is a common slot.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-07-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

as KB1 said, .44cal min bore and no bullet restrictions,,,BUT,,,I just received a e-mail the other day where there trying to pass a Bill that will outlaw any LEAD in any form used for Fishing here in N.Y. As Saboaloader said the Lead Ban is Comming, Be Prepared! Im sure ALL Bullets made of Lead will soon be Outlawed also. Once they pass the Lead Ban, then they'll go after the Powder, then the Guns and then finish us off with the Hunting!
(BP)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

gregrn43
We have some areas here on the Little Red that are catch and release with barb-less hooks also. The Game warden told me that if the barb has been bent down with a pliers so the point on it is against the shank they would consider it legal. Don't fish for trout much, I like the Walleye and Crappie better. We live on Greers Fairy lake but also own a fishing cabin on the Little Red that we inherited, The hunting land I bought is also on the Little Red.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here in Louisiana it's .44 caliber minimum for muzzleloaders (including black powder handguns). No lead restrictions except for the 1991 Federal nation-wide ban on lead shot for waterfowl.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't you think lawmakers would have more important things to think about?
If there is a lead ban coming I hope they make an exception for muzzleloaders. What else would you shoot out of a gun with a round ball twist?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Wouldn't you think lawmakers would have more important things to think about?
If there is a lead ban coming I hope they make an exception for muzzleloaders. What else would you shoot out of a gun with a round ball twist?
Here is the problem and often how it happens... Congressman needs money to get elected, he/she also needs money to stay elected, because there is another person from his/her district that wants the job... Causes... every 'Cause' has contributors - those Causes have the potential to raise a lot of money - especially the 'do gooder' Causes that influential people backing - people with money - they are minority of people in the total population but they have the 'clout of money'... Money talks - congressman listens - congressman needs the contributions.... The more he/she stomps for a Cause the more money he/she gets from the Cause.

Can you or I or any of the general public afford to donate 10-15-20 thousand to a Cause? Which people will get heard?

I would bet that Barbara and Nancy have many Causes... and the state of California is advancing because of it....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The NRA has the money and the clout. I would think they would be all over this issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Here is the problem and often how it happens... Congressman needs money to get elected, he/she also needs money to stay elected, because there is another person from his/her district that wants the job... Causes... every 'Cause' has contributors - those Causes have the potential to raise a lot of money - especially the 'do gooder' Causes that influential people backing - people with money - they are minority of people in the total population but they have the 'clout of money'... Money talks - congressman listens - congressman needs the contributions.... The more he/she stomps for a Cause the more money he/she gets from the Cause.

Can you or I or any of the general public afford to donate 10-15-20 thousand to a Cause? Which people will get heard?

I would bet that Barbara and Nancy have many Causes... and the state of California is advancing because of it....
As usual you are spot on with your comment. this goes on throughout government, Federal,State and local levels.this is why their all in trouble financially. no one does the right thing,just what's right for them politically. we can't hunt mountain lions here, anywhere in the state that the condor/buzzard calls home, the individual counties here decide if and when we can hunt does. not the fish and game.. it's craziness!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.