Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
bullet regulations >

bullet regulations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet regulations

Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Spike

I'll have to try talk my wife into buying me a lathe for a valintines day present I guess.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Paul Niskanen
I'll have to try talk my wife into buying me a lathe for a valintines day present I guess.
oh! OOOOOK - wish you good luck on that one... If I feel the ground shake I will know you asked... especially if she figures out the price of a CNC lathe
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Illinois mz has a .44 cal projectile restriction, so unfortunately we cant use the .40's. My first season with a mz, I was using a borrowed Renegade and was using a 185 gr xtp .44 in a green sabot, was accurate out to 140 yards. The night before I went to the farm, someone who is very traditional told me there was a cons officer writing tickets and confiscating firearms, since it really miked .429 I still want to ring his neck. Being a borrowed gun, I didnt risk it and the 260 speer .45 just was no where near as accurate for me. Asked every CO I met for two years and none of them ever heard of such a thing????grrr..

No centerfire rifles except for coyotes.

"Non expanding, military style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest deer: only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper/copper alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition."

For firearm deer season, you can pack in a shotgun, min 20 guage, your muzzleloader and even a handgun if you can carry or drag them all.

Handgun has the weirdest restrictions. "a bottleneck cf cart of .30cal or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4", or a straightwalled cf cartridge of .30 cal or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the mfg showing a capability of at least 500 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. Note, there is no case length limit for straight walled cartridges." Believe it or not, they allow the .30 carbine round. Ask any WWII vet how they performed on deer in Europe. I did kill alot of rats with one in VN though.

Last edited by grizzly 2; 02-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey grizzly, our minimum is .44 caliber also. But I often use .40 caliber bullets in my .45 Renegade. Last year I asked one of our game wardens about how the rule is applied. He said "I look at the gun. If your gun is .44 caliber or larger, I'm satisfied."
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

I know, it's tempting. BUT, I hunt in Pike County Illinois, and it gets looked over pretty closely since it gets hunted so hard. I decided years ago after a sting was performed in the town I hunt that it was time to follow the letter of the law. That sting sure made people mad there. Conservation opened up a taxidermy shop and started making friends. Friends started talking freely about using Grandmas tags on thier deer, on their own farms and a ton of tickets where written for those violations. Then they started taking him on federal lands and shooting geese and ducks in violation and all maner of illegal stuff. They brought law enforcement in from all over to hand out all the tickets, and the undercover agent dissappeared real fast.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
During the December muzzleloading seasons, muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a crossbow or a muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black powder handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

Combination Deer Hunting License
Residents and nonresidents are entitled to purchase only one license with two kill tags (regular and restricted) for use during any firearm deer hunting season (regular firearm and muzzleloading) or archery seasons. A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm seasons, both in the archery season or one in each season. Youths 10 and 11 are restricted to archery-only equipment.
The regular combination kill tag can be used in DMU 487 and all archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (three inches or longer antler) antlered deer except in those areas with antler restrictions as noted in Antler Restriction Regulations.
The restricted combination kill tag can be used in DMU 487 and all archery seasons to tag an antlerless deer or it can be used to tag an antlered deer during either the archery or firearms seasons if the antlered deer has at least one antler with four or more antler points each one inch or longer. It is unlawful to use this tag on a smaller antlered deer regardless of the season or area in which it was taken.
Combination kill tags cannot be used to tag an antlerless deer during the firearm or muzzleloading seasons, except within DMU 487 and during the Youth and 100 Percent Disabled Veteran Firearm Deer Hunt. See the 2010 Michigan Antlerless Deer Hunting Digest. Exception: See Tagging Option for Antlerless Deer Hunters.

Al