Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
bullet regulations >

bullet regulations

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet regulations

Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default bullet regulations

I have been reading some hunting regulations from different states, and also watching TV. In a show about game wardens on the Discovery Channel I believe it is, in California where this takes place, people are ticketed for using leaded bullets, and for fishing using barbed hooks. Something about the condors eat game and lead bullets and it poisons them.

How many states do you know of that have similar regulations? What bullet restrictions does your State have? Please state the regulations, the restrictions, the State and most of all what season?

Wisconsin does have restrictions on lead shot in waterfowl hunting is some areas as I remember. Its been a long time since I have went waterfowl hunting. And now without a good retriever, it will be a lot longer.

For big game hunting there is caliber restrictions as I am sure in many states, but to the best of my knowledge there is no bullet restrictions such as no lead, or anything else.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im fairly sure most waterfowl hunting is now steel (non lead) shot only. At least on federal/state land that hunting is allowed. Some states might still allow it on private land. I think in Mo its all steel shot for geese and ducks near any public waterways. I think lead is still ok for turkey and its ok for small game too.

Most/all waterfowl IIRC requires a Federal Migratory bird stamp and any regs that apply. The point system is rather odd too.

Big game only requires a expanding 22cal or larger centerfire. No FMJs is all i know about that are banned on deer. We only have deer listed as big game that i know about. You can shoot feral hogs with about anything you want. They are SOS in Missouri.

MLs are 40cal and larger. Not much else besides singe projectile but dbl barrels are allowed.

Overall im fairly happy with our local regs considering the availability of the game. We don't have many bear or mountain lions in any huntable quantity. I dont have much desire to shoot them anyway.

Our bag limits vary on deer based on region. My main area gets 1 buck and at least 2 antlerless. Some areas are more and some less.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Fear the lead ban... it is coming and it is getting closer.

Several states were considering the lead ban last year, other than California, I am not sure any others have passed the rules. I know it made it to the Washington State - but I think it died in committee.

The 'do gooders' will keep pushing this one as another way to stop hunting and shooting activities.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

love that show. If you are fishing for salmon, you cant use barbed hooks due to if you catch a small fish " i think this is how it goes" you can safely remove the hook and release the fish.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

Here in new york muzzleloaders must be a min. .44 bore,no bullet restrictions.
for rifle season any centerfire is legal.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Non lead for migratory game birds, 22 center fire or larger for deer, 40 caliber or larger for Muzzle loading deer. The only Bullet restriction I know of in AR is no full metal jackets for hunting. The other two restrictions on muzzleloaders are that they must load only from the muzzle and that they can not except a cartridge case full or empty.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in California you can use lead in all area's for hunting big game, except the areas that contain the CONDOR/VULTURE. the reasoning for this is the F&G claims they found gut piles with lead in them and the condors eat them and may be poisoned.. it is BS for sure.. the area i live in "does not" require you to use non lead when big game or small game hunting. as far as barbed hooks, i have never heard of that law here, except in just a few areas where native type fish are present.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

That is one reason the Lehigh bullet has me so interested. Being brass, it would be legal most anywhere. And we know how it works. So you still have barnes, and thor, but watching that show of the wardens, if it even has a lead core, it was illegal.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Here in MO its 40 caliber and up with no lead restrictions. We can also carry blackpowder revolvers if we want in addition to carrying our main guns. As long as your gun loads from the muzzle there is no restrictions on powders, scopes or type of firing cap as some states restrict you to only a #11 cap.

Waterfowl is steel shot only on conservation land.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
That is one reason the Lehigh bullet has me so interested. Being brass, it would be legal most anywhere. And we know how it works. So you still have barnes, and thor, but watching that show of the wardens, if it even has a lead core, it was illegal.
Bullets in the Condor zone, have to be approved by the State of ca lol.Barnes is indeed approved, as of right now Thor or Lehigh is not. they have to request approval and give samples of the bullets and fill go through all of the red tape to become approved.. it's all BS like i said earlier. our deer herds here are dwindling and who knows how much they have spent on the CONDOR/VULTURE over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.