Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Its Over

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Its Over

Well Monday ended my special BP hunting season here on the Isl. and I dont think I could have gone much longer. Between the snow and ice my old back and legs are shot,but pain pill and back brace saw me through. Over the season, which ran from 2nd week of Jan to the 31st no weekends,I spent a lot of hrs out there and only got one shot, which I knew was a desperation shot but I took it anyway. My wife would say Im nuts when I got home after dark soakin wet from sweat and my back breakin but Id rather be out there even seeing nothing then being home. So now I cleaned up the Accura and set it aside till spring and await my new bolt from Knight and my T hole stock to come back from the Big Dipper to put my Elite together and prepare to shoot same. My wife thought it was bad enough that I go out several times a week from Oct 1 till Dec 31 sittin in a tree with my bow now she has to contend with the muzzie till the end of January. Ah its a good life if you dont weaken !
Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Day in the Woods Hunting is better than any day at Work. Too Bad you did'nt connect. It sounds like you gave it Hell and that's what matters. Just think the Older we get that Faster time goes so next Hunting Season will be here befor we know it
(BP)
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, our season ended last weekend too. I hunted every Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning from Nov 12th. through Jan 30th. Frankly, I was ready for it to end. Our club had its worst season ever. Deer sightings were way down. It was the same with every club in our area. Even the hogs have disappeared.

I've always lived by the "Morning Doe Rule" (i.e. If you're going to shoot a doe, always do it in the morning of a nice weather day. Then you have daylight to track it if necessary, and all day to clean it and process the meat in comfort.). This year things were so tough I violated the rule and shot my second doe at dusk. Never even saw a shootable buck. Our club killed only three bucks this year. The norm is seven.

Well, at least we can all get back to playing with our toys and having some serious range sessions.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gman57
Well Monday ended my special BP hunting season here on the Isl. and I dont think I could have gone much longer. Between the snow and ice my old back and legs are shot,but pain pill and back brace saw me through. Over the season, which ran from 2nd week of Jan to the 31st no weekends,I spent a lot of hrs out there and only got one shot, which I knew was a desperation shot but I took it anyway. My wife would say Im nuts when I got home after dark soakin wet from sweat and my back breakin but Id rather be out there even seeing nothing then being home. So now I cleaned up the Accura and set it aside till spring and await my new bolt from Knight and my T hole stock to come back from the Big Dipper to put my Elite together and prepare to shoot same. My wife thought it was bad enough that I go out several times a week from Oct 1 till Dec 31 sittin in a tree with my bow now she has to contend with the muzzie till the end of January. Ah its a good life if you dont weaken !
Your having fun and that is all that matters. I can't wait to see that stock! I bet it will end looking a little different from when it left here.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Rest the body up, well deserved, be ready for next season. My season ended Dec. 19 last year, bored stiff, except for shoveling snow. yuk
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Spike

Sounds like you had a great season!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a tough season for my family to. I managed to get a doe with a bow early and one during Christmas with a ML and my wife shot her first with a ML this Christmas. I might go do a little bowhunting sat afternoon. I would be goose hunting this weekend but the temps have dropped well below freezing and the geese have moved south to warmer ground.