Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
All ready for morning >

All ready for morning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

All ready for morning

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Default All ready for morning

Got a new 5 gallon bucket stuffed with 4" news paper on one side, a 1.25 gallon ziplock bag filled to the top water water and another 4" of news paper lined behind that. Topped it off with water and let it soak up. Its finally starting to pool water in the bucket so i shouldnt have to add much more to it tonight.

I seen a couple pics of the 300's Aerolites that were recovered but wasnt to impressed. But i'll give them a shot and see what they look like in a controlled media and not rolling around on the ground.

Think i should put another 5 gallon bucket behind the water/news paper bucket just in case?

I am going to test these at 100 yards where my shots normally are taken. Using the 250gr Aerolite powerbelt and 100gr blackhorn. I just dont have much faith right now in the huge hollow point to be honest.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you MD

I know its not a perfect test and its actually harder on a bullet than game. I does help with my baseline i use for evaluation and if they "fail" then it gives CVA some data on a possible improvement. My tests even blow ALL the lead from the front half of a Partition but leaves a nice mushroom.

That deep hp concerns me on high fps impacts. Besides that it looks promising except for the price.

Personally i THINK a PB with a semi flat point (small meta) and/or a very shallow hp might be better and cheaper to produce. Make them heavy and made for typical conical speeds. Sounds like a win win for everyone if they get the cost down. Like ive said before, i actually like the 45cal 300gr PB Plat i got just because they are fairly heavy for caliber and shoot great for me. That extra weight makes the difference in the SD which IMO is far more important than BC for most ML speeds.

If they want more FPS, maybe a slightly harder alloy on the HP or tipped versions is a better idea. There are just too many affordable quality pure lead conicals for me to make the switch. Looking at the heavy White conicals at the muzzle and past 100 yards will show you my reasoning. They still hit hard as hell past 175 yards even with only 1300fps at the muzzle.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-27-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

MountainDevil54

The huge hollow point - I shoot a couple of bullets with the huge hollow point and find that they work for me very well, even at extended ranges.

I think we sometimes project in our mind what a bullet should look like and the huge hollow point des not fit that projection. Most of us, but not all, kinda have migrated to the ML world after shooting high powered - high velocity - sharp nosed - areo dynamically designed bullets with really decent powder charges. We then try to project that in the world of ML shooting. I have resigned myself to the fact that a ML will not be a high powered flat shooting rifle, at best it will out do a 45-70 - but what is wrong with that?

Since you are somewhat a Barnes fan look back at the hollow points in some of there more successful offerings, especially the older Barnes. Until we, the public, changed their perception they offered a bunch of get down to work bullets.

Hope your tests go well - I am hoping to get out today to get some shooting in with some Speer 10 mil - 180 grain hollow points myself.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Thank you MD

I know its not a perfect test and its actually harder on a bullet than game. I does help with my baseline i use for evaluation and if they "fail" then it gives CVA some data on a possible improvement. My tests even blow ALL the lead from the front half of a Partition but leaves a nice mushroom.

That deep hp concerns me on high fps impacts. Besides that it looks promising except for the price.

Personally i THINK a PB with a semi flat point (small meta) and/or a very shallow hp might be better and cheaper to produce. Make them heavy and made for typical conical speeds. Sounds like a win win for everyone if they get the cost down. Like ive said before, i actually like the 45cal 300gr PB Plat i got just because they are fairly heavy for caliber and shoot great for me. That extra weight makes the difference in the SD which IMO is far more important than BC for most ML speeds.

If they want more FPS, maybe a slightly harder alloy on the HP or tipped versions is a better idea. There are just too many affordable quality pure lead conicals for me to make the switch. Looking at the heavy White conicals at the muzzle and past 100 yards will show you my reasoning. They still hit hard as hell past 175 yards even with only 1300fps at the muzzle.
X2 i agree totally with this, and feel they would have been better served electro plating the bullet with copper.i also have already seen one recovered and was not impressed at all.i also feel the water jug test like the one ronlaughlin performs is a excellent test also.. Ray
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

Okay testing is done. I actually was able to take 2 shots due to all the paper that was left over.

Recovered bullets look like crap.

First recovered bullet weights 232.4 grains but is flat and fragment.

The other recovered bullet weighs 227 grains. This would be the second shot that almost went through the bucket.

I think its actually an improvement over the Copper series in terms of penetration.

Both bullets were very close to being pushed up against the back side of the bucket, the second one actually left a big dent in the back of the plastic bucket.

The wound channel through the first 4" of paper was impressive as hell. I recorded this on video and i could put my fist into it with room to spare around the sides.

I've read a lot about people having no blood trails due to tiny holes from the bullet not expanding so i think this is maybe why they did the larger HP so that first hole was huge.

The news paper and water certainly is a much harder test on the bullet than an actual deer so you know what that means this hunting trip LOL.

I'll give the 250 - 100gr BH209 a shot if i draw a deer tag and see how it actually performs on game.

Working on the video so be patient!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

What do you think will happen at high velocity and close range?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Michael396
What do you think will happen at high velocity and close range?
Bingo Mike... this is where the PB's have had major problems in the past..and why i also suggested testing them at closer ranges say 30-50 yds. Ray
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

you'd get a hell of a bigger hole IMO at closer range.

Almost got the video put together, just trying to resize things to keep the bandwidth down, darn satelite internet!

The hot is just massive. I dont think ive seen a hole this big before from a bullet.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 01-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C renegade .54 cal 430 gr maxi ball. now that's hole.when it comes to a pure lead conical bullet, the heavy weight conicals are the all around better choice IMHO, especially at closer ranges. theres simply more bullet mass that's going to stay together.there awesome at longer ranges also with the retained energy.any .250-300 pure lead bullet, conical or otherwise, without some kind of copper jacket IMHO, will not hold together well at closer ranges. especially with high powder charges of say 100-120 grs.the maxiball round i used in my old .54, absolutely devastated the 4 deer i hit with it. shortest shot was 50 yds longest was 100 yds.every animal was stone dead after being hit with that big old conical..
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6pk8PnCdS8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.