HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All ready for morning
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Thank you MD

I know its not a perfect test and its actually harder on a bullet than game. I does help with my baseline i use for evaluation and if they "fail" then it gives CVA some data on a possible improvement. My tests even blow ALL the lead from the front half of a Partition but leaves a nice mushroom.

That deep hp concerns me on high fps impacts. Besides that it looks promising except for the price.

Personally i THINK a PB with a semi flat point (small meta) and/or a very shallow hp might be better and cheaper to produce. Make them heavy and made for typical conical speeds. Sounds like a win win for everyone if they get the cost down. Like ive said before, i actually like the 45cal 300gr PB Plat i got just because they are fairly heavy for caliber and shoot great for me. That extra weight makes the difference in the SD which IMO is far more important than BC for most ML speeds.

If they want more FPS, maybe a slightly harder alloy on the HP or tipped versions is a better idea. There are just too many affordable quality pure lead conicals for me to make the switch. Looking at the heavy White conicals at the muzzle and past 100 yards will show you my reasoning. They still hit hard as hell past 175 yards even with only 1300fps at the muzzle.
X2 i agree totally with this, and feel they would have been better served electro plating the bullet with copper.i also have already seen one recovered and was not impressed at all.i also feel the water jug test like the one ronlaughlin performs is a excellent test also.. Ray