Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 Gr deep curls

Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Forgot to mention SAbotloader.I am hoping the 300 gr DC's will be accurate out to 200 yds, if not Barnes bullets here i come lol.i really need a bullet out west here that is accurate at longer distances. the .250 gr DC has proved to be accurate. as is the .250 gr Barnes TEZ bullet.i am in the heavier bullet corner still when it comes to say 150- 200 yd shots..can always practice with the Dc's and hunt with the barnes bullets.
builder459 is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 AM
  #12  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,595
Default

Originally Posted by builder459 View Post
Forgot to mention SAbotloader.I am hoping the 300 gr DC's will be accurate out to 200 yds, if not Barnes bullets here i come lol.i really need a bullet out west here that is accurate at longer distances. the .250 gr DC has proved to be accurate. as is the .250 gr Barnes TEZ bullet.i am in the heavier bullet corner still when it comes to say 150- 200 yd shots..can always practice with the Dc's and hunt with the barnes bullets.
I have shot the 300 DC's tp and beyomd the 299 yard mark. They do really well. I am OK with the 250-260 class bullet to 175 yards but even at 175 and beyond I really like the 300, although I would shoot the .458/275 grain Lehigh all day through the whole range 0f 10 to 200 yards....
sabotloader is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 AM
  #13  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by sabotloader View Post
I have shot the 300 DC's tp and beyomd the 299 yard mark. They do really well. I am OK with the 250-260 class bullet to 175 yards but even at 175 and beyond I really like the 300, although I would shoot the .458/275 grain Lehigh all day through the whole range 0f 10 to 200 yards....
what's the BC on the .458/.275 lehigh? and have you shot them from your triumph? Ray
builder459 is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM
  #14  
Typical Buck
 
hubby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clifton, VA
Posts: 724
Default

With the 300gr DeepCurls, using the Harvester long black sabot gives me better accuracy out of my Omega X7 than using either the short blacks or the crush ribbed sabots, but man, they are tough to load. I don't know if I would used them in the field since I have to really lean on my range rod to get them down.

If you can load them ok in your Triumph, they should be great.
hubby11 is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM
  #15  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by hubby11 View Post
With the 300gr DeepCurls, using the Harvester long black sabot gives me better accuracy out of my Omega X7 than using either the short blacks or the crush ribbed sabots, but man, they are tough to load. I don't know if I would used them in the field since I have to really lean on my range rod to get them down.

If you can load them ok in your Triumph, they should be great.
I will give them a try and see!
builder459 is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 AM
  #16  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,595
Default

Originally Posted by builder459 View Post
what's the BC on the .458/.275 lehigh? and have you shot them from your triumph? Ray
Ray, I have shot them from my Triumph, I use the regular Orange MMP HPH-.47-.458/50 sabot. But remember that i have ran the JB process on my bore. If you can load a .452/300 in a regular black HPH or Harvester - you should be able to load the orange and the .458

mike
sabotloader is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM
  #17  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by sabotloader View Post
Ray, I have shot them from my Triumph, I use the regular Orange MMP HPH-.47-.458/50 sabot. But remember that i have ran the JB process on my bore. If you can load a .452/300 in a regular black HPH or Harvester - you should be able to load the orange and the .458

mike
Don't some people use the Crushed rib 451-452 sabot to load the .458 bullets? Ray
builder459 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.