Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pro Hunter and Blackhorn 209 >

Pro Hunter and Blackhorn 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pro Hunter and Blackhorn 209

Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pro Hunter and Blackhorn 209

Took the T/C out today with some BH 209, and I have to say that it did not impress me at all. Yes, it was much cleaner and doesn't stink like Pyrodex, but I don't really see a huge advantage. I shot Barnes 250 grain EZs and 200 grain shockwaves with everything from 100 to 120 grain loads and neither bullet would group too well. Maybe it is just me, but I don't mind swabbing between shots. Also, I don't believe that it cleaned up any easier than Pyrodex. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing BH 209, I just don't see what all of the hype is about. I feel the marketing is better than the product.

I am open to any suggestions for what I may be overlooking or another method or bullet to try. Who knows, the issue I am having may be the gun itself. It is a huge pain in the neck to get a sabot down the barrel.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Michael396

Who knows, the issue I am having may be the gun itself. It is a huge pain in the neck to get a sabot down the barrel.
Have you polished the barrel with JB's bore? I know that is one of the first things I do with every new bore I get....
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

No, I can't find it at any local places and I am a little bit intimidated and don't want to mess up my barrel. I am going to look online for it and give it a try though. My wife's accura puts my pro hunter to shame.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Michael, welcome to the "I can live without Blackhorn" club.

We're a small group (and growing smaller it seems). But DANG IT, we're comfortable with our backwards ways and narrow minded prejudices.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

What is my member number?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, you can pick about any number you want. Otherwise we'll call you "that new guy" because we're not so good with numbers and stuff like that.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey Michael, welcome to the "I can live without Blackhorn" club.
Heck, I am in an even smaller group because I shoot pellets instead of loose powder. But in my Knight, the bullets will touch at 100 yards. I haven't gotten that tight of pattern out of my Encore yet.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Michael396
Regardless of the powder a sabot load that is to tight or to loose does not usually shoot well.
As far as the BH is concerned it is not for everybody and Pyrodex is definitely a good powder, i use it in all my traditional and have for all the years since it came out.
Pay attention to Sabotloader's post it may improve your situation; get the JB bore paste put it on some good ticking patches and polish that barrel. [It only polishes it does not cut] give the barrel a hundred full length strokes and scrub the barrel clean it will help.
BH shows improved performance with heavy bullets it is a progressive burning powder and requires a certain amount of pressure to get maximum performance to give best results.
The biggest actual benefits are gotten by people who understand smokeless powder and by people who do not want to fight crud ring or swab between shots.
I like it and use it in my inlines, I like pyrodex in my traditionals, I tried 777 and BH in them and consider it not to smart to have to fool with wads while hunting in order to be able to use a particular powder in a particular gun. One of the reasons I like BH is because I do not need to carry cleaning or swabbing stuff while hunting.
We have deer ]3 to 5 tags] bear and unlimited boar and sometimes turkey open at the same time during muzzleloading season; I have several times needed to shoot several times with out much fooling around and on a drive who knows.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Michael396
You can PM Cayugad and ask him for his insrtuctions for using JB's - he would gladly share them.

It is pretty much impossible to hurt anything with JB's Non-Embedding bore paste...

Here is what i do...

When you ran your JB paste in your bore - did you just oil a patch and coat with paste and run it with your jag?

Yes, you might have to double your patch to get a tight fit. But I ran an oiled patch with JB's smeared on the sides...ran that side 25 strokes top to bottom (important) then flip the patch over and run another 25 strokes. Did this 4 times then clean up the bore and see what you might have accomplished... On my Triumph I think I ran this operation twice.

Hope this helps

mike
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabot loader and Lee have given you excellent advice.is this a new muzzle loader? if so did you get all of the crud T/C puts in there new barrels? it's tuff to get out lol.if your having a hard time loading the TEZ sabot and bullet, you definately need to use the JB paste.those TEZ bullets are usually tack drivers in T/C rifles. have fun Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.