Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another XTP falure! >

Another XTP falure!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another XTP falure!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another XTP falure!

Yesterday I shot a small whitetail buck (management deer) at a distance of approximately 75 yards with a 50 caliber rifle using an XTP bullet in a sabot. The buck ran for nearly 30 yards before falling over, and then kicked a couple of times! I guess it is lucky that the deer was recovered after being shot with such an extremely poor bullet. In my defense, I did not know that I was using a bad bullet until I read it on this forum.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big Uncle

Personally I do not think you are using a 'real bad bullet' The XTP is a proven bullet, the only thing I say is that it can fail do to stripping the lead from the copper on occasion and even that is very rare - but it can happen. I prefer not to worry about when it might happen by using a different bullet that can not separate.

The other thing if you shoot it slow enough, as it is a pistol bullet, you probably would never have a problem. But hunting with a 45 colt or long colt bullet at colt velocities is certainly different than what most of ask from a bullet shot from a ML, especially a fast twist bore.

And congrats on the harvest....
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

:happy 0157: i read the same about sst/shockwaves too.but my experiances with them hasn't shown any problems.i have 4 differant types of barnes and 260g nosler partitions on hand and can and do use them but i still have complete confidence in those sst's.........karl
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

??? Are you saying that because the deer ran 30yds it was a failure?

I'm confused.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
................................In my defense, I did not know that I was using a bad bullet until I read it on this forum.
Wow, it is a very good thing you read this forum. What if the next deer you shoot with the XTP runs 20 yard, or perhaps drops right there. You would never know that you are using a bad bullet.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Yesterday I shot a small whitetail buck (management deer) at a distance of approximately 75 yards with a 50 caliber rifle using an XTP bullet in a sabot. The buck ran for nearly 30 yards before falling over, and then kicked a couple of times! I guess it is lucky that the deer was recovered after being shot with such an extremely poor bullet. In my defense, I did not know that I was using a bad bullet until I read it on this forum.
Sounds like a good kill to me.did it leave a blood trail? i have deer plowed through both lungs at 100 yds with a nosler out of my .270 run that far. bottom line deer was dead and didn't know it lol.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Not a muzzleloader comment, but I do use the XTP in a custom made slug gun. It is a break open .410 shotgun that has had the barrel double wrapped and then rifled with and extremely fast twist rate. We use re-primmed AA .410 shotgun shells, 50.5 grains of IMR 3031 and top it with a .410 XTP bullet. Absolutley devastating on whitetails and I have never seen a failure. Shots from 10 yards out to 170 yards. It is legal in lower michigan (shotgun only) to use due to the plastic hulls classify it as a slug gun. I do not know the velocity of this gun, but I have never seen the bullet fail.

In the 30 yards the deer went, what was the bloodtrail? Any exit? How was the internal damage? Did you find the bullet?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Wow, it is a very good thing you read this forum. What if the next deer you shoot with the XTP runs 20 yard, or perhaps drops right there. You would never know that you are using a bad bullet.
That is what has me alarmed. It makes me wonder how many other deer that I have killed with this bullet died simply because I did not know any better.

I am very lucky that I could see the deer drop. I may not have been able to follow the blood trail through the snow if he had run another 5 or 10 yards and expired behind a tree!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

i think the original poster was being sarcastic
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i think the original poster was being sarcastic
I agree. I hope nobody thought otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.