Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another XTP falure! >

Another XTP falure!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another XTP falure!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

ive tested a couple hundred rounds of the 300gr xtp mags. They came out perfect. I wouldnt be afraid to use them.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ive tested a couple hundred rounds of the 300gr xtp mags. They came out perfect. I wouldnt be afraid to use them.

This 300 grain XTP Magnum bullet and others like it were dug out of the dense clay bank that is about 10 meters behind my 100 meter target. It was fired months before using 120 grains of 777. Was in a hurry working up a load for elk: That bullet
and powder charge were not very accurate when fired from my Encore so i gave it up.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

mine certainly did not look like that but i was shooting them into cement like mixture of sand. Very watery.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

The .45 300 grain in .50 cal is my never fail bullet. Never had a deer go more than two steps. Usually a big exit and about every deer I've shot with them, drop on the spot. My farthest was in the 150-175 yard range. I tried an SST ONCE, went through both front shoulders, ran 60 yards and NO blood. Back to XTP I went.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lemoyne
My definition of a bad bullet is one that don't do the job, as an example before I new any better I shot a deer with a Power Belt 245 gr with a 120 gr load of pyrodex right on the front shoulder any decent bullet would have killed the deer. Instead it blew hair skin and meat all over the snow and we tracked that deer for several miles and watched him twice with binoculars standing and looking back at us, we could see the big hole in his shoulder and he was limping but he was headed for the next county and I doubt that he died from that bullet, that bullet failed.

Now this is my example of a bad bullet! Well said Lee.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have had mixed results with the XTP. I have killed six deer with my Encore shooting XTP's with 100 grains of pellets. I had never found a blood trail with the first 6 deer I shot. Luckily they didn't go far and I was able to find them. One I shot right behind the shoulder and tracked her for over 60 yards in the snow and not a drop of blood. Once she jumped a small creek she started bleeding and didn't go far. Had it not been for the snow I would have never found her. I could follow her tracks until she bled. This year i shot a doe at about 100 yard and she dropped on her front end and then hobbled off dragging her front leg, barley able to stand. We never found blood and never found the deer. After that I switched to a Barnes bullet and killed 2 deer. So far both of them had a good blood trail. I recovered a bullet from one that was mushroomed perfect and retained almost all it's weight.