Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The full bore conical >

The full bore conical

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The full bore conical

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The full bore conical

With all this talk about bullets I thought I might say something about the direction I have gone.
About a year ago I got my first White rifle and at the same time started shooting lead conicals anywhere from 420 grains up to 535 grains. I also found that if the bullet is sized right they will perform well in my other rifles as well.
The advantages I see are accuracy, and low cost of shooting plus tremendous knock down power. The cost of shooting becomes even more of a factor because these conicals do best with a lower powder load than most of you are use to using.
These heavy bullets have tremendous downrange performance because of their weight.
The downside, if you want to call it one, is that if you shoot much past 100 yards you have to be prepared to compensate for the bullet drop. This of course requires a lot of practice at different ranges. The accuracy is still there its just that you have more of a rainbow to your trajectory than the lighter pistol bullets.
Just my thoughts.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

Well ya... You have come to same conclusion(s) as Doc White.

I am the profound converted ceterfire nut - I can not give up trajectory and velocity. I still feel I need the speed for some of the shots that I am presented with.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

flounder,

I agree 100% I find myself 'playing' around with other bullets and sabots, but when push comes to shove and I need to get serious, out comes the Bullshops.

The key, as you mentioned, is trajectory. I RARELY and I mean RARELY get a shot over 75 yards. So I worry very little about drop. People out west don't have that luxury.

I'll take a big and slow bullet over a fast and small one any day. (if that ain't a can of worms ain't nothin' )
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Well most forum members are aware, I love my White Rifles and I like shooting big lead. When I saw a small charge, like 65 grains of powder push a 460 grain conical bullet eight inches into very (and I do mean very) solid poplar wood, I was shocked.

As some, my shots here in the woods are close. These big conicals are almost tailor made for me. They plant the animal well, get a pass through, and do impressive things. I have shot a lot of deer with conicals ranging from 300 to 426 grain. Seldom do they walk off.

There is a lot to be said for conical bullets out of a good shooting rifle.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first BP kill was with a PRB and because there was no exit wound I switched to 370 grain Maxi Balls.I have never had a deer that's been hit by one of those chunks of lead get away.Always a pass thru and plenty of blood to trail if the need was there,though most times there was no tracking needed.I switched to inlines this year and have been trying lighter bullets because 75 yards was my maximum range with the Maxi Ball.I don't think it's worth it with all the bad news I'm hearing about light bullets.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cast a 525 grain bullet for my 50 caliber MZ's. The bullet is devastating. My longest shot on an elk was 145 yards. He went maybe 30 yards after the shot. And it was all he could do to go 30 or so yards. He went sick from the moment he was hit. The bullet is devastating on deer.

I also shot all the sabots and all the expensive MZ bullets in those sabots. Then I went back to conicals. Guys always complain about the performance they get out of the $1 a piece bullets. But how often have you heard anyone complain about a 525 grain conical not knocking the snot out of a deer??

Practice is not a problem with a conical that you pour. The cost is so low that you can shoot all day. I would argue that practice is too costly with Barnes bullets, not the conicals you pour.

I do not find trajectory to be a problem. But I use an LRF when I hunt in areas where shots can be over 150 yards. No big adjustment is needed until you get to 150 yards(on big game).

I always think it is funny when someone says a MZ is only good to 100 yards with a heavy conical. When they openly know that buffalo hunters shot BP cartridges(and BP rifles) to extreme ranges, with great efficacy. I firmly believe an MZ is fully capable of the same. You just have to practice, and know what you are doing. Tom.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see a picture of what you are casting there Tom.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

460 gr Paper Patched 500 S&W bullets. These big old bullets put the smack down on game and are sub 2" at 100 yards. Ron
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I smacked a doe tonight with a pure lead .504 496gr "Trashcan" with 70gr of Swiss 3f out of a White Lightning. Lots of blood everywhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job nim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.