Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The full bore conical >

The full bore conical

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The full bore conical

Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
How does one go about getting into conicals? I will be honest and have never tried conicals. I am a 250 grain Shockwave in 50 caliber loyal shooter so why am I asking? I have the opportunity to hunt an area in which I will only be able to see 50 yards in the heavy timber. The shockwaves are great at long distances but I have had a non pass thru at 20 yards once, the bullet did not expand well and was inside the hide after it broke both ribs, did its job but the deer here are very large. I want a shock and awe and powerful conical for short shooting. I shoot inlines in 50 caliber. Does the conical just fit on top of the powder or does a powder wad go in between the powder and conical? I use 100 grains of pyrodex with the 250 and assume if I shoot a 500 grain conical I need to be around 70-80 grains of loose powder. Can you help me select a good conical? Thanks fellas.
The T/C Maxi-Ball 370 grain, or Maxi-Hunter 350 grain, are a good choice. T/C recommends a Bore Button, or Wonder Wad over the powder charge for a fast twist barrel. (1 in 28") 90-100 grains of FFG Goex, or Pyrodex RS will do the trick.