Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need Some Advice on this one >

Need Some Advice on this one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need Some Advice on this one

Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Some Advice on this one

OK Guy's, I consider Myself to be a Excellant Deer Tracker, but I need to see what you think of this one.
First off one of the Properties I Hunt is split by the NYS Thruway, it's My Biddies Farm. Well it's too bad but over the years Many get hit on the Thruway and Die, or as this one and a few others they have been hit by Cars and Trucks only to die or if Im lucky fond there tracks and try and finish them off.
Tonight was our second Day of Late ML Season and with 35++mph Winds and Snow with Minus Zero Wind Chills I decided to Sneak and Peak the Woods that borders the Woods next to the Thruway by the Soybean Filed where I took My 7Pointer the last day of Gun Season.
Into My Stalk I Jumped 3 Great Bucks, all from 130-160" or higher Class. I had no shot as they ran off. I tracked the Tracks and I found one set the was not right. The Buck was Dragging a Leg. He only ran about 100yds or so befor he started to walk, so he was'nt doing good. He then walked into some really thick stuff and I decided to leave him as it was 4:30 and going to be dark soon. Also I knew I did'nt want to Jump him and take the chance of running him to knowwhere's land. I decided to wait untill the Morning and have 2 of my other Friends and I take up the tracks.
From what I can tell is (I Think) it's his back leg, what do you all think from the Pics? I know if it's the front leg it could be Impossible to catch up with Him. It could also be as hard with it being the back leg but I Hate to leave a Hurt Buck to the Coyotes and a Awful Death.
3 Years ago I found similar Tracks from a Buck, he out ran 5 of us as we Tracked him for over 4 miles. With both back legs broke and broken ribs and internal injuries he still managed to Jump the Thruway Fence in 2 places and never let us get close enough for a shot.
Long story short a Guy finished him off after I got to my truck and drove to a Farm where I knew he was headed, got out and as I saw the Buck comming I heard shots. The 170" Class Buck Lay dead, the Hunter in the Local Paper wrote that He Hunted this Buck all Season and Got Him on the Last Day! Wahtever.....
But Im going to Hunt all day tomorrow for this one and would like your Opinion on what Leg you think is Broke.
Sabotloader is sending the Pics for me.......Thank's Mike!
(BP)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Here are your pics....

Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the Pics, Thank's Sabotloader.
The first pic show's the Buck dragging a leg. The second pic shows the Bulk Walking dragging his leg. Pic 3 is another of the Buck walking dragging his leg. And Pic 4 is the Bucks Tracks next to My Size 14 Boots that are about 16" long, he has a Big Track and was one of the Trophy Bucks that I jumped, I dont know wich one though.
So looking at the Pics what do you think is broke, the Front or Back Leg? Im thinking it's the Back One........
(BP)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say definitely the back leg, seems if it were the front there would be some indication of pushing snow. the tracks appear smooth. Damn i thought my 13's were big! can you say gun boats lol! to bad you couldn't get a shot at that big brute..
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Left rear? Cold out today, huh? I'm giving the a.m. a quick try.good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
I would say definitely the back leg, seems if it were the front there would be some indication of pushing snow. the tracks appear smooth. Damn i thought my 13's were big! can you say gun boats lol! to bad you couldn't get a shot at that big brute..
Yea that's what Im thinking, back leg. Im sure it was hit on the Thruway, I've seen this too many times and it most always seems to be the Big Bucks that get it.
I cant stop thinking of him suffering, I know he is as he only ran a short distance befor he started to walk. Im going after him in the morning and with any luck I'll end his suffering.
Yea them 14's are Big. I fnally got to get some 2000gram Thinsulate Rubber Boots from Cabela's. They dont carry many that size and this year I finally got me a pair befor they sold the few that they had. That Buck has a 6" Track, you can just imagine how big he is. It seems as the last of the Big Bucks always get togeather during the Late Season. There way too smart for most Hunter's, but there no match for the Thruway.
I'll post My results tomorrow night after we go after him, I hope I'll have some good new's. But after all the years of tracking Big Bucks (Wounded One's) most of the time no matter how bad off they are they seem to win.
(BP)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take some help, when you get to where you can see a thicket two or 3 of you go way around to where it opens up some then have one guy follow the tracks, if he comes sneaking out you have a chance.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Im guessing front. We chased one that had the back leg shot pretty bad and it still used it.... good luck in the am hope you get him...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like his back left leg. I have seen a deer go a heck of a long way with an injury like that. You might hope the cold stiffens him up and keeps him in his bed. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

You're all wrong! Its a drop tine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.