Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Getting into muzzleloading >

Getting into muzzleloading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting into muzzleloading

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off never buy a muzzle loader with out shouldering it to check the stock fit and trying the trigger pull to see if you can hold the sights steady on the target and set it off. The fit of the stock and the trigger pull are the most important elements to good hunting accuracy in the field.
Look at the low priced TC muzzle loaders and the Accura before you buy try the triggers in particular. One of the reasons I say that is because one of our club members has a wolf it seems to be a reasonably good gun except I do not know how any one could hit anything with that trigger, and none of the gunsmiths around here will work on a CVA.
For a low priced gun the Omega Z5 would be my pick But the Impact is often lower price.
Most of the old timers here don't have any use for power Belts as they often fragment especially with loads like the one suggested, they are very expensive and much better loads like the Deep Curl and Lehigh bullets as well as the barns and for medium loads the XTP bullets are excellent if you want a sabot-less load try the Hornady FPB in 350 gr with 90 gr of powder. Pyrodex or Blackhorn are very good.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

if he bought the new wolf, the trigger will be excellent.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 11-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Ive shot both 120 and 150gr pyrodex RS loads in the past with the 245gr Aerotip and both deer had pass throughs.

I aint scart!
Nothing to be scart about but it would be nice if you got your recommendations straight! You are the one that has preeched over and over 'lower the charge' so which recommendation do you want the public to follow.

I think it is pretty much on public record that you needed to slow the Power Belt down and really it is not just the Power Belt it is any all lead light weight conical - probably could dig up your old posts that say that but I figure there are a lot of on here that have had to listen to your stuff in the past and then you come out and tell a 'Newbie' shoot 150 grains of BP/Pyro (2 T7 Mag pellets) - it will work for him.

So make up your mind - I already know what I would do and it certainly would not be two T7 Mag Pellets....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

yep i do it for their satisfaction to ensure a pleasant hunt.

My Accura deer load is 100gr blackhorn with the 245gr Powerbelt behind it. Ordered 700 bullets today, most of them hollow points so i can cast my inserts and plug them up right away.

He asked what was accurate, 150gr T7 with the 245gr Powerbelt in the wolf is a monster. I wouldnt be afraid to use it

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 11-30-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

MountainDevil54

There is a huge difference in what that bullet and charge will do shooting paper and what they might do shooting an animal.

And you wonder why most folks question about 2/3rds of the stuff you come out with.

Give the new guy a break...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

From reading your posts, it looks like the Powerbelts do pretty well with your inserts. My question is, how can you call it a good bullet when you have to modify it? That's like me saying that Ford ******s are what you should get if you want a race car, because they can be fast once I change the motor in them.
I think 98% of the world probably doesn't have the ability to, nor the desire to modify their bullets to hunt with. So why not choose a bullet that works well right out of the package?

That being said, when it comes to accuracy, I got very similar accuracy results to your 3 shot group with them touching there. They just shoot amazingly well, but they don't perform so well on deer for me anyway. Not saying that they don't for others, or with a different load, they just didn't work well in my load and from reading others posts, it seems like they have had a very similar experience, and I know several of my friends have also.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sabotloader
MountainDevil54

There is a huge difference in what that bullet and charge will do shooting paper and what they might do shooting an animal.

And you wonder why most folks question about 2/3rds of the stuff you come out with.

Give the new guy a break...
Ive already taken 2 deer with 120gr and 150gr RS and the 245gr Powerbelt. From the results i got, i have no trouble using it.

I dont know how to put it any other way.

A shooter can use any bullet he or she wants but a poorly place shot is just that.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Regarding the Wolf being a cheap rifle, my 870 is a "cheap" shotgun, but its my favorite to shoot and hunt with. Meanwhile, my friend is always complaining about the issues he's having with his Benelli not functioning properly.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
Regarding the Wolf being a cheap rifle, my 870 is a "cheap" shotgun, but its my favorite to shoot and hunt with. Meanwhile, my friend is always complaining about the issues he's having with his Benelli not functioning properly.
Surprisingly youre not the only one hearing people complain about the benelli's. I was pretty surprised from all the complains i read about on them, And they are an expensive shotgun too.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
Yes I have a 870 to and its definatly my favorite shotgun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.