Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
finally shot the Blackhorn >

finally shot the Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

finally shot the Blackhorn

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default finally shot the Blackhorn

I bought some Blackhorn 209 about 2 months ago, and finally got to put some through the Optima Elite last weekend. Boom. Boom. Snap. Sna...Boom. Yeah, the 3rd shot was a misfire, the next a hangfire. The good news is that it printed a pretty decent group for a first attempt, even the hangfire holding pretty tight. (at least I know I'm not jerking the trigger hehe)

I was using Remington STS primers, which I've heard are a good choice. I was seating the bullets well. The gun only has a few rounds through it, so the BP should be clear.

Whatever the deal is, I'm going to run a drill bit through my BP and try it again sometime soon. It won't take many misfires to turn my stomach to the stuff though. The T7 pellets printed 1 1/8" for me, so I won't have a problem using that if I get too scared of the Blackhorn. I just had to try the stuff everyone is talking about

rw
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Try using CCI 209M primers. They work real well for me. Also if you can get some Fiocchi #616 209 primers they work the best.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

#65 drill bit will take care of that. Just open up the flash hole. I think the earlier cva's had an even smaller flash hole than todays cva.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

i just started using blackhorn, i had trouble from remington primers. i switched to federal an have not had a miss fire since. i think certain breech plugs need certain primers to ignite blackhorn or just open up the flash hole. in my opinion blackhorn is the best powder just because of the ease of cleaning and no swabbing, some hoppe's #9 and i was done.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

shot BH209 first time yesterday, through my triumph. I had hang fire issues. Ended up enlarging the flash hole... no issues now.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

how timely! I just got back from the range with it. I have be messing around with it for a few months with a few different rifles. I have just decided that it isn't worth it, I'm not going to use it anymore. Sure it's cleaner, but I am sick of all the hang fires.... from completely clean CVA accura using fed 209a primer I didn't even get THREE shots off before I had my first hang fire. I'm done with it for good!!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

5 seconds with a #65 will stop the crying. .035" is what blackhorn recommends.

Heck blackhorn will drill it out for free.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
CVA accura using fed 209a primer Igood!!
Thats your problem. Fed 209a sucks.

I cured my american pioneer crud ring by switching the the fed 209a primers, thats how weak they are.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

everything that I have ever read about the 209A says that it is the hottest primer available, it's dirty enough to be. Actually what is going to stop the crying is not using Blackhorn!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

exactly! Its dirty, its just plain filthy! Now you see where most of the flame is going. Right into the action.

CCI 209M primers and dont look back! Clean and dependable in the Accura.

Thr fed 209a's are so filthy in my rifles its amazing. When a "hot" primer like the 209a cures a crud ring, that should tell you right away where the hot flame is going.

Josh, ive shot over 200 of them in the Accura, Only 30 shots were with BH209, the Fed 209a just sucks, pure and simple. No other way to dish it out LOL.

Try those 209M's and see how they do.

Dont let a crappy primer spoil your blackhorn fun.

Just shot a 1.5" 3 shot group @ 100 yards with a 10 year old cva hunterbolt! Yep, 209M primers and zero hang fires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.