Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
finally shot the Blackhorn >

finally shot the Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

finally shot the Blackhorn

Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've had no issues with BH209 and i use Win. 209 primers. I found an article one day that listed the hottest primers and i know that Fed wasn't in the top ten. Win was in the top three.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
how timely! I just got back from the range with it. I have be messing around with it for a few months with a few different rifles. I have just decided that it isn't worth it, I'm not going to use it anymore. Sure it's cleaner, but I am sick of all the hang fires.... from completely clean CVA accura using fed 209a primer I didn't even get THREE shots off before I had my first hang fire. I'm done with it for good!!
Hey if you are done with it, I will take that good for nothing stuff off of your hands!!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 50calty
I've had no issues with BH209 and i use Win. 209 primers. I found an article one day that listed the hottest primers and i know that Fed wasn't in the top ten. Win was in the top three.

You must not be talking 209 primers? The Federal 209A and CCI 209M are both "hotter" than Win W209 as far as heat AND pressure, I assure you.

"Hotter" is a term many throw around, and doesn't necessarily mean what it says. Some 209 primers will reach higher actual temperatures than others, but may not reach the actual pressures of other primers with lower temperatures, and vice-versa. So, "hotter" is not well defined here, but I have shot much more BH209 than the average guy, and know that the Federal 209A and CCI 209M are the top two for igniting this powder in MOST applications.

Now with the relatively small channel (3mm) in the CVA rifles, they can not handle the volume of pressure like a 1/8", or better yet 5/32" channel can. If that pressure cannot bleed through the flash hole, it is either going to come back through the primer or pocket. A non-magnum, lower pressure primer may and generally do work better for the lower volume channels.

The CVA's as supplied from the factory have a relatively small flash hole as well. A little modification that anyone can do to make a better breech plug has been well documented. Use a #21 drill, and tap the channel for a vent liner that allows you to change your diameter of flash hole any time you would like.

MD54,

To say the Fed 209A "sucks" shows me you are shooting a CVA rifle with a breech plug channel that cannot handle the volume of pressure from the primer. I wouldn't let a drill and tap keep me from shooting BH209 with nearly any 209 primer you want.

Blackhorn needs a flame/heat and pressure to ignite and burn properly. If your heat and pressure is bleeding back around your primer, it is not getting to the powder. Pretty simple, when you think about it. So, a "hotter" primer like the Federal 209A in your case, is more than likely doing just that.

That is why your more moderate primers are working better in your application. They have enough heat, and the pressure is not bleeding out the back. That is not to say that it is the BEST ignition, just the best for your rifle.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

1/8" flash channel that i modded for testing. The federal 209a's are simply dirty and throw all of the flame into the frame. They do work great with american pioneer though.

Im sticking with regular cci and the cci 209m's. Im not chancing a hunt on a dirty unreliable primer.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
how timely! I just got back from the range with it. I have be messing around with it for a few months with a few different rifles. I have just decided that it isn't worth it, I'm not going to use it anymore. Sure it's cleaner, but I am sick of all the hang fires.... from completely clean CVA accura using fed 209a primer I didn't even get THREE shots off before I had my first hang fire. I'm done with it for good!!
Suit yourself, but you could find out how many many many others use BH209 successfully.

The sabot needs to be a tight fit in your rifle. The bullet needs to be pushed tightly against the powder. The breech plug needs to be 'clean'. This involves using a 7/64" drill to remove the carbon from the flash channel. Normally, the CVA requires a magnum primer for success. Do these things, and BH209 should work for you.

I too have experienced some disappointment using BH209 in my Accura. However, by making my cva breech plug look more like a TC breech plug, i have thus far seen 100% reliability in my Accura using BH209, and this includes shooting it last winter, after it was left out over night in temperatures less than -15*. badbowbender2 mentions installing a vent liner to improve the cva breech plug, and in my experience it works. Pictured is a cva breech plug with the vent liner installed.

Others suggest enlarging the cva flash hole. My measurements show the cva flash hole to be some larger than the TC flash hole. My Omega(s), and my Triumph, have been 100% reliable using BH209, so, to me, it doesn't seem like the size of the flash hole is the problem with cva breech plug.

Pictured below is a home made breech plug that fits my Accura. It is tested, wrapped with teflon tape, and almost ready to install. If you wish to try it, you need to furnish a vent liner, postage, and your address.

The headspace of this breech plug is about 0.016" less than factory, which will help reduce blow back some. If it is too tight, one just needs sand the end slightly.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

josh...just josh

If you can afford to shoot it... BH is a great powder - yes it has a learning curve but once you have it - you got it.

You can not always go by what FG/MD54 might indicate - he is so hung up on the CVA - it is often hard for him to see.

I would tell you if you read... badbowbender2 explanation of the primers and the amount of gas they expend - using the hottest primer is not always the answer with BH - if your BP is not equipped to handle the volume of gas from a primer it will hang fire.

Not only does the 'flash hole' cause this problem so does the 'Flash channel' right under the primer.

If you want to cure your problem and shoot BH succesfully them I would suggest that you PM ronlaughlin or even myself - either one of us will gladly modify your current BP so that it will reliably shoot BH. The CVA breech plug is so soft it is easily worked with a drill press and a tap and dye.

Ron has often posted pictures of his modification and has completed this modification for several people. I have done the same on many different BP's. Getting a Lehigh vent liner in your BP will make a world of difference in how well BH works. Shoot I can even ignite it with an old Remington 410 shotgun primer...

Here are some pics of my modification of a Knight BP...

Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

You know what sabotloader, you talk a lot of crap but it boils down to you selling products for knight and lehigh.

I shoot these damn guns more than enough to know what the hell they like. CCI 209M primers and give it 5 seconds on a damn #65 drill bit. You dont need to pay lehigh for vent liners.

You dont need to do that crap to a breech plug!

Hell i am seeing more tc owners over on another site with their omega's failing to fire with the federal 209a and winchester primers.

Use a #32 drill bit on the cva plug to keep the carbon build up out and use cci 209m primers. And if needed, drill out the flash hole with a #65 drill bit.

Could i have put it any more clear?

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

MountainDevil54

Nice Junk...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

thats what the original hunterbolt owner said of the gun too It will keep up with anything out there in my hands ol man.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
...........................I shoot these damn guns more than enough to know what the hell they like. CCI 209M primers and give it 5 seconds on a damn #65 drill bit. You dont need to pay lehigh for vent liners.
Precision Rifle and others are alternate sources for vent liners.

When i think about it, it seems like drilling out the flash hole is just accelerating the aging process for the breech plug. Also, i recommend one spend more than 5 seconds on this project. In haste, one could easily break the drill, and have a piece stuck there in the flash hole.

You dont need to do that crap to a breech plug!
To me, making a breech plug better than it was, isn't 'crap'. A breech plug with a vent liner installed might just last longer, or may never need to be replaced i.e. it could end up being a lifetime breech plug. It also may end up being 100% reliable with any primer and BH209.

Hell i am seeing more tc owners over on another site with their omega's failing to fire with the federal 209a and winchester primers.
Please reveal which site this is. It would be informative to me, to read about problems with TC rifles.

Use a #32 drill bit on the cva plug to keep the carbon build up out and use cci 209m primers. And if needed, drill out the flash hole with #65drill......................
Using a #32 drill to ream the flash channel in a cva plug is good advice, but enlarging the flash hole just accelerates the aging process of a breech plug. Even though it may make the plug be more reliable with BH209, it won't last as long as it could have. On the other hand, installing a vent liner just might allow a breech plug to last a life time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.