Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Deerstalker Twist >

Lyman Deerstalker Twist

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Deerstalker Twist

Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lyman Deerstalker Twist

I have a stainless Lyman Deerstalker, in a 54 caliber (percussion) which I bought somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago, and chose it specifically because it was said to have a 1 in 32 twist while the "regular" Deerstalkers have a 1 in 48 twist. Over the years, and even at the time I purchased it, I've seen many sources that said the stainless Deerstalker was a 1 in 48 twist. Even the Lyman literature, has conflicting information on the twist of the stainless Deerstalker. So finally I contacted Lyman customer service by email and asked them to confirm for me what the actual twist was on my gun. This is the reply I got:

It would have a 1-48" twist with shallow grooves, which is better for conical use than with patched round balls.
So I'm wondering... has anybody else been confused by all the wrong information that is out there? Has anyone purchased a Deerstalker because you thought it was a 1 in 32 twist?

Attached is a screenshot of one source which gives the incorrect twist. It is a Lyman manual that is available online.
Attached Thumbnails Lyman Deerstalker Twist-deerstalker.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you ask them if that model and caliber ever came in a 1-32 twist? The person that answered your question might have been a chart reader, and gave you a general answer.

I bought a Mountain Stalker many years ago. Gander Mountain now has it. When I bought it, the add said it was a 1-32 twist. When it came, the barrel was marked 1-48. Its a good roundball shooter.

What kind of projectiles are you shooting out of your Deerstalker? I have always heard they are good rifles.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use a cleaning rod with a jag attached to measure, then you know for sure what you have...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I do plan on trying to measure the twist myself, then there will be no doubt.

But yes, I did email them back and asked if the Deerstalker had EVER been made with a 1 in 32 twist, and I asked if they were aware of all the conflicting information out there regarding the twist rate of the stainless model. It seems odd to me that they don't stamp the twist right on the barrel, as it is rather important to know.

I have shot 348 grain Powerbelts in the past, and currently I have 330 grain hard cast Harvesters, 302 grain Buffalo Bullets, and some 300 grain Precision Rifle bullets. (all saboted bullets)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Here is another quote from some other Lyman literature available online:

DEERSTALKER STAINLESS

The Lyman Deerstalker Stainless model has all the features of the standard blued model, but is made in corrosion resistant stainless steel. All major metal parts such as the barrel, trigger guard, lock assembly, escutcheons, and wedge are stainless steel for the greatest protection against black powder fouling and weather. The Deerstalker stainless models uses a 1 in 48" twist barrel for shooting conicals and sabots. Stainless parts have brushed finish to prevent glare.

Here is the other one so we can see them together:

Deerstalker Stainless
The new Deerstalker stainless model is as handsome as it is functional. This highly demanded rifle features true stainless steel on all of the major metal parts such as the barrel, trigger guard, lock assembly, escutcheons and wedge. The Deerstalker Stainless is available in percussion only and has a special 1 in 32" twist for shooting modern conicals.

Attached Thumbnails Lyman Deerstalker Twist-lyc-ml-dss.pdf   Lyman Deerstalker Twist-lyman_blackpowder.pdf  

Last edited by bdan68; 08-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Barrel specifications for all Lyman muzzleloaders:
Attached Thumbnails Lyman Deerstalker Twist-lymanbarrelspecs.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

More confusion, from a seller of Lyman muzzleloaders:
Attached Thumbnails Lyman Deerstalker Twist-tjgeneralstore.jpg