Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

low power scopes?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default low power scopes?

I just picked up an Accura to go with with my Knight and my Thompson Center. I love it already! I had planned on putting the 3-9x40 prostaff from my knight on it and getting something else for the knight, but after mounting the prostaff on the Accura it just didn't feel right. This rifle is light and quick and with the thumb hole stock it almost feels like a little M4 carbine.
I'm thinking now that I am going to leave the 3-9x40 on the Knight (where it is a perfect fit) and getting something smaller and lower powered for the Accura and using it as my early season brush gun.
I'm between the 2-7x32 prostaff and the bushnell trophy 1.75-4x32. I know that prostaffs are nice scopes and the higher magnification would be nice, but the trophy is even more compact and I really like the idea of the fast circle-x reticle. Have any of you guys used the trophy?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Spike

Default Scope Choice

Both of the scopes you mentioned are good choices.I just got a new Burris FF ll 2-7x and I really like it. Those new Redfields are very nice as well for the money.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I've ever had to make a shot on game so fast that a circle or tapered crosshair would help any. One of my MLs is reg. duplex, the other is a diamond duplex... I don't see advantages to a 'fast' reticle, so I wouldn't make your decision on reticle type.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I have the pro staff on a couple of rifles and have to say, it is one impressive scope. It is 11 inches long, so it is not a large scope. On two power it is a quick sighting scope.

I also have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm in a Black Diamond XR. Again a very compact scope, and its been tough as nails. Also excellent in the light gathering department.

But of the two, on a rifle like you have I would go with the Pro Staff without question. I think it would really make that a fast and accurate rifle.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have both. Both are fine scopes but the Bushnell is better ib dim light and thick brush. The Nikon is an excellant all around scope.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

for a short range woods scope thats easy on the wallet it's hard to beat the 1.75-4 trophy.i have 4 mounted on various frontstuffers and they have all performed well.....karl
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look into a Vortex Diamondback, or a Burris Fullfield II. Both are better choices than the Prostaff, but in the same price range or slightly more. Here is a great writeup on inexpensive scopes. http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Bushnell dusk to dawn as well. Works great for me. I'd guess the Trophy is just the ticket.