Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Triumph vs CVA Accura V2? >

TC Triumph vs CVA Accura V2?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Triumph vs CVA Accura V2?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh the Great Debate, TC vs CVA. First off yur not going to change anyones mind about what they like, if you drive a FORD and love FORD's then your not going to buy a Chevy.
CVA has come a long way, and they are not the old CVA with the old CVA problems, they were sold to BPI and started a new. I have owned CVA's for about 20 years and never had a problem with any of them execpt finding more room in my Freezer to put all the Venison in.
The ACCURA (old and new) have a SS Bergara Barrel, TC does,nt, not even there own SS Barrel. To me the SS Bergara Barrel is what sold me on the ACCURA, and yes it is everybit as accurate as they say, and it's a Breeze to clean. To date I can get 1/2" groups at 100yds (scoped) and 1 1/2" at 200. Is the Triumph accurate, sure, but look at the price and what you get for your money and the ACCURA beats everything about the TC but the name.
And yes I have owned a Triumph, my biggest beef with the Triumph is trying to close the action without making any noise, you have to (snap) close it. Now I dont care how good a ML is, if you cant load it and shoot it with out being quiet than it's not for me. Would you buy a BOW that everytime you drew it back it squeeked. My second beef with the Triumph is the (Tight Bore) it's not user friendly when it comes to bullet selection, some go down so hard you feel like your going to break the ramrod, the ACCURA loads with ease.
Now what I liked best about the ACCURA besides accaracy is the (Trigger Pull) it's clean and smooth, you need this to get off good shots, the Triumph's not as smooth.
Now Im not bashing TC, they make great MLers, but for what you get between the TC Triumph and CVA ACCURA, the ACCURA gets my vote.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
................................Now what I liked best about the ACCURA besides accaracy is the (Trigger Pull) it's clean and smooth, you need this to get off good shots, the Triumph's not as smooth.....................................
Well, i guess i would agree with everything you wrote about the Accura. However, i just went out in the garage and pulled the triggers on the Accura and the Triumph, and i couldn't find anything rough about the Triumph trigger. It breaks about as cleanly as a trigger can. It seems to pull some harder than the Accura is all. Actually, i have felt some creep in the Accura trigger before, but didn't feel any just now.

That Accura at Midway for $250 has me thinkin', and i do have a scope without a home.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get the one that feels right, if it fits best you will shoot best.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

theres a gun shop and a guy names of Carlos that works there, he'll guarantee you 1/2" groups with your Bergara barrel if you follow his directions. Let me see if i can find his email address for you
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

OK, I guess I've decided!

I just got back from a lunchtime break at Bass Pro Shop, they just got in 1 (and ONLY 1) CVA Accura 2 Stainless with a Camo thumbhole stock in stock.

I held the TC Triumph side by side with the CVA Accura V2 and here is my opinions:
  1. CVA has a full stainless barrell (BIG WIN)
  2. CVA has a hammer spur extender, helps during late season
  3. HATE the TC re-locking mechanizm to close the barrel, while the CVA opens and closes just like my TC Encore
  4. CVA holds better for me as the forearm is thinner and not as wide along the base as the Triumph
  5. CVA has a crisper and I believe lighter trigger
  6. And I plan on using it to hunt Elk in CO (open sights) and the CVA throws up better than the Triumph. You can tell the TC was designed to use a scope.
  7. I was also afraid the CVA weighed a lot more than the Triumph but honestly I could feel no difference in the 2.
So even though I have a TC Encore 209x45 and .22-250 in the safe it is a NEW CVA for me.

Now I'll take it to the range and HOPE I don't have any regrets, but for now I'm sold on this new gun.

For all the TC fans out there, don't mis read a thing. My 209x45 and 22-250 Encore are tack drivers and will not be leaving my safe anytime soon. (See attached 100yd 109x45 and 200yd .22-250 targets for proof)

But these two guns side by side I say the CVA Accura V2 beats the TC Triumph, but the range will tell the tale.

Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails TC Triumph vs CVA Accura V2?-45-bp-100-yards.jpg   TC Triumph vs CVA Accura V2?-22-250-200-yards.jpg  

Last edited by 95Harley; 07-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

There should be a screw behind the trigger guard. Adjust it all of the way out to lighten trigger pull on the V2.

i dont think you will regret the V2's Accuracy! Ours shoots like a devil with open sights and powerbelts at 100 yards.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
powerbelts
Those Power Belts are another story...I tried them out of my Encore 45 and I was lucky to even hit the paper and had swore them off ever since.

I will try some but I'm real apprehesive of them. I hear the 245 Aero shots well out of this gun. But I really have no idea what load to begin trying.

777, White Hots, BH 209
Pellets or Loose
Hornady FSB's, Powerbelts, SW's

While I'm upgrading I want to use the most modern tech available to extend range and accuracy.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

thats tc for you.

CVA really does well with Powerbelts.

245-295gr Powerbelt - 90-100gr BH209 and CCI 209M primers are a beast in our V2

You also need to take a look at Thor bullets. We'll most likely be using them again this year
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 95Harley
Those Power Belts are another story...I tried them out of my Encore 45 and I was lucky to even hit the paper and had swore them off ever since.

I will try some but I'm real apprehesive of them. I hear the 245 Aero shots well out of this gun. But I really have no idea what load to begin trying.

777, White Hots, BH 209
Pellets or Loose

While I'm upgrading I want to use the most modern tech available to extend range and accuracy.
I know Im gonne get some from (MountainDevil) on this one, but here goes......the Powerblets plain Suck on taking down Game, they shoot good out of the CVA's but that's it.
Out of all My CVA's I use the 240gr XTP Mags with either 100gr's of Pyro Pellets or 110gr's of Pyro RS. They shoot amazing out of the ACCURA's, HunterBolt Mag and My Staghorn. I have NEVER LOST a Deer using them and they are Devestating, Ive used them for about 20years. Plus the Groups are also nothing short of Great.
(BP)
also since you mentioned Range, I have taken Deer from 175 to 200 yds with the XTP's and some were complete pass through's, that's as far as I like to shoot, most all Deer were standing still feeding in Cornfields when shot. But most of my Deer are taken from 15-80yds.

Last edited by Breechplug; 07-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 95Harley

777, White Hots, BH 209
Pellets or Loose

Im not a PB fan either but in my original Accura and my Elite 45, the 45cal 300gr PB Plats shot great with 100grs of BH209. Including 3 nearly in a single hole.

The ONLY reason i got them was because i got them for about half price and it has about the best sectional density of all the PBs.

IMO it might be the best PB for a 45cal but i would never buy them at retail. :P

As for the V2 vs the Triumph they will both shoot well so it boils down to what you like. It would be hard to say you went wrong with either as long as your happy. I have no regrets about buying my original Accura at all.....other than finding my Elite for less than half the cost later. :lol:

If your not in a hurry you might consider waiting to see what other options are available before the season. Knight might have something out by then and its always nice to keep your options open.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-28-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.