Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Mag XP

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a can of this stuff from cabelas like 5 years ago. only got around to trying last year. it was a little clumpy after sitting all that time but after a few shakes was just fine. the new formula is supposed to be better. i was very impressed. so much that i ordered and received cans last month as well as there finer flintlock pan primer powder. unless something changed its still available. there is no corrosive nature that i can tell. they told me on the phone to just clean the gun at the end of the season and thats what i did.lock time is great. this stuff ignites extremely scary fast.im only using like 50- 60 grains in my 50 and 54 caplock. 80 grains in my TC omega inline. you can shoot all day and not have to send a patch down the barrel. first shot loads like the last. im still gonna shoot pyrodex for cheap range sessions and BLACK MAG3 for hunting or cleaning my barrel out after shooting pyro.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to try it...when its available locally.

At the last Shot Show, Alliant claimed they will be marketing it as BlackDot so the price has a small chance of dropping a bit.

IF its as good as claimed then there is a good chance BH209 could drop in price a bit too.

TBs reviews of the last version were fairly positive.

At the current pricing and availability i will just wait unless i can get a free sample.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I'd love to use it. If it is as clean as BH but doesn't need a rocket booster engine to ignite it it would be perfect!