Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Coleman Stove good for rolling my own? >

Coleman Stove good for rolling my own?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Coleman Stove good for rolling my own?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coleman Stove good for rolling my own?

Hello all. I am interested in casting my own round balls (ahem!). I was thinking of using a Coleman model 413F stove to melt the lead.

These stoves use Coleman fuel, not propane. So the fuel tank is smaller than what you might find with a propane tank.

Can anyone with experience casting their own projectiles tell me if they think this stove/fuel tank would have sufficient burn time to use for casting.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that the regular coleman fuel would burn hot enough. If not, you can always get an adapter kit. That's what I use to cast my bullets. Just be sure to used a well ventelated area. We don't want a fellow MLer getting succumbed by carbon monoxide or die of lead poisoning by inhaling too much lead vapor. Outdoors is best if its not too windy. WARNING: do not cast outside in the rain....
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bronko! I have watched some YouTube vids of guys casting outdoors with a fan at their backs. I was planning on doing something similar.

WARNING: do not cast outside in the rain....
Pardon my ignorance, but why not? Not that there is much chance of casting in the rain here in Phoenix.

Now that I think about it, would an aluminum stock pot be OK to melt the lead in?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Thanks Bronko! I have watched some YouTube vids of guys casting outdoors with a fan at their backs. I was planning on doing something similar.

Pardon my ignorance, but why not? Not that there is much chance of casting in the rain here in Phoenix.

Now that I think about it, would an aluminum stock pot be OK to melt the lead in?
If rain were to hit your lead pot it would cause one heck of an explosian. Trust me you don't want any liquid near your molten lead. I would recommend you even keep your soda or drinks far away. I have a Lyman electric pot and I would bet that even a single burner electric hot plate would do it as well as my little Lyman. The coleman should be fine..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If rain were to hit your lead pot it would cause one heck of an explosian
Good tip Thanks I did not know that.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I cast off a Turkey Cooker. I bought one of the Turkey Cookers on sale many years ago. It came with a Bunsen Burner, Stand to hold the pot and burner, Regulator, Hose, Turkey cooking pot, and other little items.

I took a grate off an old gas stove and wired that to the top of the stand. Burner goes underneath, and I control the heat with the regulator. Works perfect. I use a Lyman melting pot. Aluminum I am not sure it if can not only take the heat but spread that heat evenly to the whole lead puddle. And I use a Lyman dipper that pours two molds with one fill.

As for moisture control, wear long sleeve shirts, gloves, and if you sweat, wear a swear band on your forehead. Also when you reach for a ladle of lead, keep your sweating head back away from the lead pot. One drop of sweat falls into that nose of yours into the pot and you will understand the need for long sleeve shirts, gloves, and eye protection.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use your Coleman stove. It will work just fine. However I would advise against a light aluminum pot. I would suggest a heavier cast iron pot. And also be careful. You can not put alot of lead into the pot. The Coleman stove will not take a lot of weight. Go slow and think small. And buy a small cast iron pot. It will work just fine. Tom.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Coleman like you are talking about, melt my lead in a Campbells soup can...

I haven't bought balls for over 20 years, I have both .390 and a .530 Rapine bag molds...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
..recommend you even keep your soda or drinks far away...
Hell, I always eat and drink while dealing with molten lead and casting bullets....

Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 5 inch cast iron fry pan. being shallow it is easier to fill the ladle from it. also get a cast iron pouring ladle with a pour hole. This allows you to fill the mold in one smooth steady pour. Wooden handles long shirts and leather gloves come highly recommended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.