Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Boar Hog Killed With 300 Grain XTP >

Boar Hog Killed With 300 Grain XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boar Hog Killed With 300 Grain XTP

Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the nice porker! I buddy Anthony shot his first hog with that sam bullet/sabot combo and it performed pretty much the same.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the nice hog.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Congrats on the nice porker! I buddy Anthony shot his first hog with that sam bullet/sabot combo and it performed pretty much the same.
Hey buddy, you all settled in on the island yet?

What is the exchange rate?

YOu living on or off base?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob

How bad did it stink???

hogs actually have a sweet smell...like dog piss compared to cat piss
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

That young boar did not smell at all. He was pretty clean too. i'm sure he will be a good eating hog.

i give away all my hog kills except for one or two each year: Have had only one family complain about "strong tasting" wild pork. They complained about every one of the 6 or 8 hogs i gave them. Gave them a huge sow that was clean and well cared for. They took it to a butcher who kept it in his cooler for 18 days before cutting it up. They claimed that the sow tasted strong. i fried a piece of pork chop and it was rotten.

Fixed that problem. That family no longer gets any hogs.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

if they are just used to store bought...good luck lol..definitely if ya wait til the rigor goes away befor processing it helps the taste of any meat. if its rotten then they dont care for it properly. and if they complained everytime they will continue. it aint a pig layin in its own feces every day havin slop brought to it confined to a 7X7 cell lol..this animal is running or walkin miles upon miles a day in search for food. if ya ever tried to get bacon from a wild hog ya know its like meat strips lol. smaller than slim jims lol..and its a whole lot..100% leaner? someone do some maf on dis and correct me plz..just curious now.

Originally Posted by falcon
That young boar did not smell at all. He was pretty clean too. i'm sure he will be a good eating hog.

i give away all my hog kills except for one or two each year: Have had only one family complain about "strong tasting" wild pork. They complained about every one of the 6 or 8 hogs i gave them. Gave them a huge sow that was clean and well cared for. They took it to a butcher who kept it in his cooler for 18 days before cutting it up. They claimed that the sow tasted strong. i fried a piece of pork chop and it was rotten.

Fixed that problem. That family no longer gets any hogs.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice pig...Got me wanting to mix a batch of my famous eastern NC BBQ sauce and buy a half gallon of George Dickel...

That's one of the bullets on my list to try this year...I lucked out and found a box of them today, now I have both the 240s and the 300s in stock...

The biggest problem I'm having is finding them in bulk...Sure will be glad when things loosen up a bit...

With that load you posted have you ever tried them out to 150 yards???
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

With that load you posted have you ever tried them out to 150 yards???
i have not. Fired that gun at 50 meters with the 300 grain .430 XTP bullets on Wed. of last week. It shoots about one inch high at 50 meters. i may get a chance to fire it at 100 yards later this week.