Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Renegade or Hawken? >

T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Since one ML is clearly not enough, I am thinking about picking up another in the off-season. I'm happy with my Omega and would like to get a sidelock. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either a T/C Renegade or a T/C Hawken. I know the Renegade is no longer made but is still available through Gunbroker or some other sites.

So what are the ups and downs of either gun? Whatever I get, I intend to use for hunting (whitetail). I hunt from stands and also still hunt here in VA, which for me means a lot of climbing/walking.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Both are great rifles. If you can afford the extra a Hawkins normally brings I would get the Hawkins. They are more comfortable to shoot. The Renegade has two inches shorter barrel length and no brass. Also they are a beefy stock. The Hawkins has fancy brass that you need to shine, and because of the shake of the stock with strong loads, are kinder to shoot. But I like a Renegade.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

This is just me... but I have a them both - in fact right now I have only one Hawken left - it is a rock sparker and I have 7 or 8 Renegades... guess that tells you the one I like the best.

I really like the shorter barrel, especially in the walk around hunting I do + Idaho is not very flat...

And as Cayugad says - they are both very good caplocks....
Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

If I was going to get a side lock it would be a Renegade. they are IMHO better suited for our cold weather hunting. Larger trigger guard, some are single trigger. No brass to polish. But i have a soft spot for Underhammers so why even think of a side lock.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both are good and reliable and T/C lifetime warranty. The Hawken is a little 'fancier' with all the brass and a little slimmer. Even the barrel is thinner 15/16" as opposed to the full 1" for the Renegade. It looks good hanging on the wall and performs well in the field.
However the Renegade is a no frills hunting rifle. Both will get the job done and no animal is gonna know the difference which it was shot with.
The problem I see you having is picking one then, after shooting it and seeing what a blast it is, you will probably have both anyway.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

hubby11

I have a TC Hawken in .50 that I'm selling if you're intersted. Just send me a PM if you are.

To answer your question. I like both. The looks of the Hawken I think is better. I do like th fit to the shoulder a little better. But the Renegade really is a no nonsense kinda gun. You can't go wrong with either one of them.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have both, I like both. But I prefer the Renegade in the heavier calibers, all my 54 except the custom made are Renegades. for some of us the flatter butt plate helps with heavier recoil. I know for me the points on the Hawken like to gouge a bit with a 54 and 110gr load and PRB.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I'm a no frills kind of guy because I really like my Renegades - just something about them grabs me more than the Hawken. The Renegade stock fits me well and I find them very comfortable to shoot. Heck, I even like my New Englander a lot and it's about as no frills as you can get.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am partial to the Renegade. I had a 54 and loved it.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW I'd suggest also looking at Lyman guns.I like TC but the price seems a bit high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.