HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   T/C Renegade or Hawken? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/314024-t-c-renegade-hawken.html)

hubby11 01-02-2010 07:09 PM

T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Since one ML is clearly not enough, I am thinking about picking up another in the off-season. I'm happy with my Omega and would like to get a sidelock. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either a T/C Renegade or a T/C Hawken. I know the Renegade is no longer made but is still available through Gunbroker or some other sites.

So what are the ups and downs of either gun? Whatever I get, I intend to use for hunting (whitetail). I hunt from stands and also still hunt here in VA, which for me means a lot of climbing/walking.

Thanks.

cayugad 01-02-2010 07:44 PM

Both are great rifles. If you can afford the extra a Hawkins normally brings I would get the Hawkins. They are more comfortable to shoot. The Renegade has two inches shorter barrel length and no brass. Also they are a beefy stock. The Hawkins has fancy brass that you need to shine, and because of the shake of the stock with strong loads, are kinder to shoot. But I like a Renegade.

sabotloader 01-02-2010 08:14 PM

hubby11

This is just me... but I have a them both - in fact right now I have only one Hawken left - it is a rock sparker and I have 7 or 8 Renegades... guess that tells you the one I like the best.

I really like the shorter barrel, especially in the walk around hunting I do + Idaho is not very flat...

And as Cayugad says - they are both very good caplocks....

Screwbolts 01-03-2010 03:51 AM

If I was going to get a side lock it would be a Renegade. they are IMHO better suited for our cold weather hunting. Larger trigger guard, some are single trigger. No brass to polish. But i have a soft spot for Underhammers so why even think of a side lock.

bronko22000 01-03-2010 04:50 AM

Both are good and reliable and T/C lifetime warranty. The Hawken is a little 'fancier' with all the brass and a little slimmer. Even the barrel is thinner 15/16" as opposed to the full 1" for the Renegade. It looks good hanging on the wall and performs well in the field.
However the Renegade is a no frills hunting rifle. Both will get the job done and no animal is gonna know the difference which it was shot with.
The problem I see you having is picking one then, after shooting it and seeing what a blast it is, you will probably have both anyway.

TNHagies 01-03-2010 05:58 AM

hubby11

I have a TC Hawken in .50 that I'm selling if you're intersted. Just send me a PM if you are.

To answer your question. I like both. The looks of the Hawken I think is better. I do like th fit to the shoulder a little better. But the Renegade really is a no nonsense kinda gun. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

lemoyne 01-03-2010 06:19 AM

I have both, I like both. But I prefer the Renegade in the heavier calibers, all my 54 except the custom made are Renegades. for some of us the flatter butt plate helps with heavier recoil. I know for me the points on the Hawken like to gouge a bit with a 54 and 110gr load and PRB.

Semisane 01-03-2010 02:23 PM

I guess I'm a no frills kind of guy because I really like my Renegades - just something about them grabs me more than the Hawken. The Renegade stock fits me well and I find them very comfortable to shoot. Heck, I even like my New Englander a lot and it's about as no frills as you can get.

SJAdventures 01-03-2010 06:34 PM

I am partial to the Renegade. I had a 54 and loved it.

Bernie P. 01-04-2010 06:48 AM

FWIW I'd suggest also looking at Lyman guns.I like TC but the price seems a bit high.