Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Unloaded at the range >

Unloaded at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloaded at the range

Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unloaded at the range

After my hunt this morning I decided to unload at the range.
The rest was already set at 50 yards so I used my pack as shooting bags.
I'm shooting a 45 cal CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum / SS Camo synth / 90g BH-209 / 195g Dead Center Bullet / CCI-M Primer / 3x9x50 Simmons Optic
I put up a target and fired from a clean bore.I jerked the trigger on shot #1
I calmed down on shots 2, 3 & 4

Shots 2, 3 & 4 can be covered with a quarter

I am so glad I checked the zero today,I am 5" above POA @ 50 yards.That's to high dont you think?
I did some math and figured that if each click is 1/4" @ 100 the it should be 1/8" @ 50 so I started clicking down.
I put up my second target

I'm to low now and not jerking as much.

Only the first shot was from a clean bore,there was no swabbing.
I need to shoot at 100 now and get a good zero.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Befor I got My Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope with the Ballistic Reticle I used to sight in at 3" High at 50yds. This would put me dead on at about 150yds. I'd just hold dead center lungs from 0-150 and I was good, and even a touch further than 150 I'd still be lower lungs heart area.
(BP)
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Befor I got My Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope with the Ballistic Reticle I used to sight in at 3" High at 50yds. This would put me dead on at about 150yds. I'd just hold dead center lungs from 0-150 and I was good, and even a touch further than 150 I'd still be lower lungs heart area.
(BP)
Thank's BP
I have been wondering where to put it at 50 yards.I can shoot 150 at my range but it's a pain to move everything.The rage is always set at 50 by default.
I have some sight in targets with one bull 3" above the other just for that purpose.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on where you hunt at, for me I hunt in thicker areas and enjoy getting up close and personal with the deer. I personally have never taken a deer past 45 yards and have taken them as close as 4 or 5 yards, so I never sight in my black powder for anything past 50 yards really. If I actually use my .45 cal that has scope on it I could aim up just a little for longer shots. I have taken some practice shots out to 100yrds just to see where I hit, and I am a couple inches low.

Both my .50's are sighted in at 50 yards both iron sights also. My Hawkens is nasty and really surprised me, wanna try it out after hunting season at really long distance just for fun on paper.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd sight it in for 2" high at 50.