Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shot the Scout, here's how I did... >

Shot the Scout, here's how I did...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the Scout, here's how I did...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default Shot the Scout, here's how I did...

Hello all, a few weeks ago I posted about buying a TC Scout, .54 from a friend at my church, well, I shot it yesterday and really enjoyed the range time. Anyways, I found that it really likes 100 grains of Triple Seven behind a 435 grain TC Maxi Hunter. Kicked like a mule but it shot really well. I was able to group to 2 inches at 50 yards with the factory sights. Is that good, I don't have much experience with this gun or even a .54 for that matter so I trust yalls opinion. Should I be looking for more accuracy?

Thanks guys!
DD80
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

for a first timer, i'd give you a pat on the back.

I would lower your charge down to 80gr and see how that does. Sometimes with the lead conicals, less powder gives it better accuracy. But you will learn that game as you go!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's quite reasonable for open sights at 50 yds. The gun may be more accurate than that, but a scope on a Scout doesn't seem right to me. That load will wilt a deer like nobody's business. I've shot a bunch with a T/C Renegade and 54 cal Maxiballs.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

That bullet should rip a new butthole in a deer! Nice w/ open sights you really want to only go the about 75 yards so Great shhoting.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

That is real good shooting for open sights at 50 yards. A lot of the scouts were a 1:38 twist which made them good conical shooters. I think a few were also 1:48 twist.

Some other bullets to try would be a maxi ball. That load would sure do anything moose size and under in. As mentioned, you might want to lower the charge and see how that shoots, but if it likes that much powder, and you like the recoil. Go for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Spike

I had one and sold it. It had a weird breach plug. Really liked the way it felt though. Wonder why they stopped makeing them.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

100gr of Triple Seven? Yikes!!! Better you than me...lol. You are a glutton for punsihment! However if it groups em well Id try it too. Thats recoil in the hot loaded 45/70 range. Prob 50+ pounds.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by his guzzi
Wonder why they stopped makeing them.
IIRC, the plant that made them burned down.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a very potent load for normal shooting you might try reducing it 5 or 10 gr at a time until the group starts to open up.
2 inches at 50 or 4 inches at 100yds is considered good with the type sights that come on a Scout.