Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best ML for the money >

Best ML for the money

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best ML for the money

Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I agree the Whites are the tops for conical shooting. One other that you might consider is the NEF Huntsman or Sidekick if you can find one. The rifle with the newly available MU breechplug and if you want to really make it great add the Hubbardoutdoors ramrod. It will shoot sabots and conicals nearly as good as the Whites. Cleaning is great also as it is a standard break action type. The triggers on all that I have seen are really smooth and light compared with most over the counter muzzleloaders. The MU plug gets rid of the plastic carriers and goofy breechplug wrench and makes shooting BH209 reliable as well as any other sub or real black powder. The Hubbard rod extends two inches longer than the stock rod, has the correct threads for accessories, has a relieved end for pointed bullets and is several times stronger than the stock rod. My .54 T/C Hawken is probably my favorite sidelock.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

i really enjoy my CVA Accura. Powerbelts and thor conicals are what i shoot here in colorado.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I don't put much stock in shooting conical the only time I use them is when I hunt some of the states that require them. But since I do use them I have loads for the Triumph and the Endeavor that I can hit a golf ball at 100yds off the bench with; I have never understood why so many people think the whites are better I have not seen any groups posted that are better than mine.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Lee, unfortunatly that is all I can shoot here in Co. So I want a gun that does it well. that way when I go to MN or SD or TX, I don't have to swith loads. If it shoots well thats what I'll stay with.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Lee - you can hit that golf ball - - but can you pick out a certain dimple to hit? That's what we White shooters do.

I've been off this forum too long - it said the last time I visited in was 1970!

Big Paul - I'd vote for the White, too, but my experience with other brands is admittedly very limited.

Good Luck
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Well Lee and Cayugad seem to know more about muzzies than I'll ever hope to know.
If you were to build a muzzy for target shooting what would you build? I'm thinking of using the old T/C that I have and putting some Creedmoore sights on it and giving it a shot. We have a BP club here in Southern Colorado that shoots out to 600 yards plus, that sound like fun to me.

Anybody done this type of shooting with a muzzy before??
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Well, Lee.....post some of your targets and I'll post some of mine with one of my Whites. You seem to have an issue with the White rifles. Do you own or ever shot one??

Not trying to start an arguement...but if you've never shot one...I'd keep my opinions to myself.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

BIG.PAUL

If you can find one... the White is the way to go. It is built like a tank, simple operation, easy to clean, easy to disassemble and to assemble.

The Model 97 has a 1/24 twist ( I think the 1/24 is worth a ton when shooting full bore conicals) and can shoot the longest conicals and it also can handle all of the sabot loads.

I have a m97 U-Mag and I can verify how well it shoots.

A lot of folks make a huge deal out of 'group size' but more important to me is how accurately the gun will shoot hunting in hunting situations. I guess my feelings are I did not buy a target rifle I bought a hammer to harvest animals with.... Now with all that said the White will shoot targets with anybody, with a huge variety of different projectiles.

Now the down side... Whites are old technology, they are a plunger type gun and not all are going to work with BH-209 if that is your choice of powder. There is at least one White that might though.

See this is a target I shot... I know it is not a conical and I guarantee you that Lee is a better bensch shooter than I - but the White did just fine...

The only difference between shooting these sabots and the 460 grain Bull Shops I shoot from it would be the size of the holes...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-11-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

The Accura will shoot conicals with accuracy. Very good accuracy too.

247gr colorado thor. The Accura really loves 105gr pyrodex RS. 110 gives about 1 1/2" - 2" groups @ 100 yards.

The first 3 shots are to the upper right, that was with cooldown. The 2 in the black were rapid fire with no cool down,

Im just about 2 hours south of you, northwest of Trinidad.

Some powerbelts with open sights @ 100,

Check out the Accura though, its really a nice setup and a charm to carry around. I prefer the thumbhole.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

batchief909
No I do not have any issue with White rifles, the one I had shot everything just fine, I have guns that I would rather clean than the White but did not really consider that an issue I clean every thing I shoot every time I go shooting.
Its this talk about them shooting conicals like there is no other gun that will and this business about TC not shooting conicals.
I just broke in a new Endeavor and this is one of the first targets I shot after I sighted it in. I always use conicals for break in. This particular gun likes all that I have tried well enough that I could hunt to 150 yds with them of course I try the ones I like and have worked before.
Attached Thumbnails Best ML for the money-t-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.