Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 If not Powerbelts or Sabots... then what? >

If not Powerbelts or Sabots... then what?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

If not Powerbelts or Sabots... then what?

Old 06-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If not Powerbelts or Sabots... then what?

RE PowerBelts - Who says the performance isn' t there? These bullets kill well, if you are using a heavy enough powder charge, and a heavy enough bullet. In .50, I use the 295-grain for deer, and heavier ones for elk and bear (345 or 400 grain).

If they shoot accurately, use them!! These bullets have not changed!! " Only the name has been changed" !!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Spike

I' ve used the Lyman plains 385 in my TC renegade and had good results on deer - where it counts. Have also used TC Maxi' s. The only thing I will say about the Lyman bullets in MY Renegade is that they are very hard to load. It appears that each band is a little bigger and in MY rifle you almost need a hammer to get them in! I haven' t tried them in my CVA Hunterbolt, but plan to do so as I' m seriously thinking of dumping the 295 lead HP bowerbelts I used last year. Yeah, the deer only went about 40 yards, but first blood was where it dropped. I may give them a 2nd chance, but don' t want to lose a well-hit deer because of poor bullet performance. My son lost a deer with 245 Gr. PB and switched to Maxi' s.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

What' s wrong with using a patched round ball in .54 cal ? A conical in the same cal would also work very well , and deliver better downrange energy . That was state of the art after the 1700s , and legal in Colorado today . Mountain men came up with the .54 ball for larger game like elk and bear when the .50 didn' t have quite enough punch to suit their needs , and they first came out in flintys . All mls were sidelocks then , and those guys usually got their target , they had to or starve . Necessity may be the mother of invention , but hunger will spark ingenuity like no other force ! Modern bullets are great , but we sometimes forget that they aren' t the cure for all ills , and certainly no substitute for something that always worked well . Go back to the basics and you' ll find that the " old boys" were probably smarter than we are . It' s usually when I try to " overthink" something that I get into trouble .