Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Berraga Barrels

Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Pglasgow
There is only one problem that I know of with the narrow rifling. They will get wear around the crown a bit faster than standard width. Of course that won't make any difference to some one that uses a bore protector bushing.
Lee,

I take it you mean wear of the rifling. I think I would agree with that. The wear is really the same of course but with less metal being the rifling ... a greater proportion of the rifling is worn.

I would think the biggest problem would be blow by around the projectile as it leaves the crown. So it would be minimized I think with sabots and reduced by using an overpowder wad on conicals.

Like Breechplug, I am interested in knowing what a bore protector bushing is.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
If the Berraga Barrels are better quaility, why do they cost hundreds LESS than any other barrels for my T/C Encore ??? Just curious? I seen a couple of places that offered these barrel for the Encore and was surprised that they are cheap?
What barrels are you talking about for your TC Encore, ML Barrels or Centerfire? Bergara Centerfire Barrels for the Encore and Pro Hunter range in price from $210.95-$258.95. As for ML Barrels for your Encore from Bergara there only $210.95 for the Blued and $240.95 for the Stainless Steel. The same price for most CVA Optima Elite and Apex .
Now the CVA Apex Barrels from Bergara go from ML Barrel $274.95 and the Centerfire's are $309.95.
So where do you get your higher prices for barrels for you TC? From TC? or where? What are there prices and who makes them?
(BP)
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

IL-Cornfed

Two big reasons... or more

Material cost are cheaper in Spain as the cost to make the material is less aboard and of course the big difference is the labor cost... American wages vs Spanish wages. Then think about the cost of machinery in Spain vs machinery here... things add or subtract in a hurry.

Probably why so much American industry has reloated from the US to across the waters...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

I believe Lee is referring to a brass crown protector on the ram rod or the range rod...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mike.

Hmmm. My rifle ram-rod is brass ... and my range rods are aluminum with a brass end ... so I think I'll not be causing too much wear with them being that they are softer than the steel of the barrel. Now a fiberglass rod ... that's a whole different matter. Silica is harder than steel so it could cause wear.

I do have a crown protector on my short starter ...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can make a simple one from a centerfire rifle cartridge. Just have to pick the right casing for your setup. Cheapy bore guide.

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=18701 they sell them pretty cheap and in different sizes
Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
You can make a simple one from a centerfire rifle cartridge. Just have to pick the right casing for your setup. Cheapy bore guide.

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=18701 they sell them pretty cheap and in different sizes
UC and Mike, Thank's for clearing that up about the (Bore-Protector) How much are they actually used by ML Shooters, more than most would think? I have never heard of one untill now, should I use one, and if so how tight or loose should one be in the bore?
(BP)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I have never heard of one untill now, should I use one, and if so how tight or loose should one be in the bore?
YES!!!! you definitely should on your range rod - i really do not worry about it on the gun rod because I only use that once or twice during a hunting season.

I really do not care if your rod is brass or aluminum - your rod it self can pick up a contaminate itself like a piece of metal or silca - constant rubbing is a concern.

Check these out..

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(13s...9&partNum=RG-6

The size that you want is detirmined by the rod diameter...

I have one on every range rod and especially cleaning rod.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was working on guns one of the biggest problems that was common was the wear near the crown from ramrods. There is only two solutions for this problem once you have it [it is very hard on accuracy] you can get a new barrel or cut 2 inches off the barrel and re-crown it.
The fiberglass is the worst one to have, the aluminium and the wood are bad to they pick up grit and grind it against the barrel. Sabotloader is right if you shoot much at all you should have a Crown protector or what ever it is call where you live. They are usually either brass or a very good plastic and are held on the muzzle to keep the ramrod from wearing the barrel out of round. A shooter that only shoots for sighting and hunting will probably not have this problem but those of us that shoot a couple times a week could develop it in a year or two. I have seen a lot of rifle people brought in and could not understand why they lost accuracy that had this problem many were traded in and had to be repaired before resale. Lee
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
When I was working on guns one of the biggest problems that was common was the wear near the crown from ramrods. There is only two solutions for this problem once you have it [it is very hard on accuracy] you can get a new barrel or cut 2 inches off the barrel and re-crown it.
The fiberglass is the worst one to have, the aluminium and the wood are bad to they pick up grit and grind it against the barrel. Sabotloader is right if you shoot much at all you should have a Crown protector or what ever it is call where you live. They are usually either brass or a very good plastic and are held on the muzzle to keep the ramrod from wearing the barrel out of round. A shooter that only shoots for sighting and hunting will probably not have this problem but those of us that shoot a couple times a week could develop it in a year or two. I have seen a lot of rifle people brought in and could not understand why they lost accuracy that had this problem many were traded in and had to be repaired before resale. Lee
Lee, I take it when you say (crown) you mean the end of the barrel or muzzle? if so most of my ML barrels have a (Bullet Guiding Muzzle) thus this short unrifled secton would'nt have a worry of the rifling being wore by the ramrod as even if the ramrod comes in contac with it there is no rifling to wear, or would it? Even if it does Im still gonna get one for my rangerod as Sabotloader and you recommended.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.