Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Berraga Barrels

Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Correct... the QLA offers a lot of protection to a crown as long as you do not hit the internal riflelings with the jag as you are loading or cleaning. Usually loading is not a problem because the rod is held in center by the jag on the bullet, but...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

Correct... the QLA offers a lot of protection to a crown as long as you do not hit the internal riflelings with the jag as you are loading or cleaning. Usually loading is not a problem because the rod is held in center by the jag on the bullet, but...
Thank's Mike,
By the way what happened with you and your Elk Season, any luck?
(BP)
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I was a bit concerned that the quality of a "cheaper" barrel wouldn't be up to par with the American made barrels that cost nearly TWICE as much! Wether they come from T/C or other companies that I've fund... most Encore barrles seem to run around the $400 range.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

Mike, awhile ago you mentioned you like the (TC Polymer Extended Super Jag) I was at Wal-Mart tonight and I just cant go there without going through the Sporting Goods section to see what's marked down. I found the TC Super Jags marked down to $3ea so I bought 2, are they suppos-to be for protecting your bore during cleaning? They say the have a (over-molding) that protects the bore during cleaning, is there any other reason you use it? Also Im still waiting to hear how your Elk Season is going or went.
(BP)
Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a crown protecter like this one on my short starter http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=1870

Maybe I should be but I am not at all concerned about damaging my bore with a brass jag. What concerns me more is breech gases accelerating to a few thousand fps when the bullet exits the muzzle. Any way, most bore erosion occurs right where the bullet seats over the powder. The area where the pressures are highest and the seal of the bullet less than ideal. One would call that the throat of a highpowered rifle barrel but I don't guess that term applies with a muzzleloader. I figure that I'm not going to live long enough to wear the barrel down with my jag . After over 400 rounds, I don't see any wear near the muzzle (or anywhere else in the bore).

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-12-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drill a small hole in a quarter. Tap it long enough with dern near anything and you'll have a ring worth a dime.

Then look at the Grand Canyon.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Drill a small hole in a quarter. Tap it long enough with dern near anything and you'll have a ring worth a dime.

Then look at the Grand Canyon.
Like I said, I'm not going to live that long . Seriously ... I'm not. But if I were using a fiberglass rod I would worry about it.