Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Berraga Barrels

Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

i shoot conicals from my accura all the time. they do excellent. i cant get the 385gr buffalo conicals to group but thats pretty common. These bullets never shot worth a crap in any rifle ive owned.

i need to try some hornady great plains conical though once i can find them.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walmart quit carrying them here. I used to buy them for $7 bucks a package after season was over. I still have a couple of boxes. I love GP conicals. I haven't had a rifle they didn't shoot well in.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
Breechplug,

Do you shoot conicals from your Accura? The reason I ask is because I wasn't aware the Bergara barrels were button rifled. The Kodiak Pro and Win Apex I own are both cut rifled. Regarding, SS coating, I can tell you these two stainless barrels are solid stainless. They aren't Bergara but they do shoot well. Particularly the Win Apex which has a better trigger. Its not uncommon to get 1" groups at 80 yards open sights. Its tough for me to point MOA beyond that distance with the factory sights and there is typically wind here so things tend to widen beyond that distance.

I do like cut rifling for the conicals though and am curious if you have tested any full bore conicals in your Accura.
I think MountainDevil answered that question about conicals. As for your Kodiak Pro and Win Apex, are they are solid stainless, I dont know for sure, I have a Kodiak Pro and it looks solid to me. I was just opening my big mouth about other MLers that claim they have Solid Stainless Barrels (Triumph) there barrels are called stainless, but there just carbon painted steel and there not even fluted and look how much they cost! Again Triumph owners, Im sure there GREAT MLers but you should get more for your money when you buy one, not just the name. Again, most MLers shoot better than the shooters. If you have the hands of a surgeon, the eyes of a eagle and nerves of steel, you can shoot the worst MLer in the world and make er group tight.
(BP)
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BreechPlug,

I took some guff when I bought that Apex from some TC owners ...

But I am very happy with the rifle. I only paid $160 (in cabela's points) for it "brand spanky new"

I also got a Kodiak Pro in stainless after liking the Apex (when the Apex supplies run out). I loaned that Kodiak Pro to someone who fired it 10 months earlier and stored it uncleaned. I cleaned that rifle and there wasn't one bit of rust and no pitting whatsoever. Now its low humidity out here and I emphasize that everyone needs to clean their rifles when they get back from the range or the hunt, but I am CERTAIN it couldn't have come out so well had I not bought the stainless barrel.

A number of folks noted that it couldn't have come out like that in the climates where they live. That may be the case, but then having a SOLID stainless barrel would have to help.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

BreechPlug,

I took some guff when I bought that Apex from some TC owners ...

But I am very happy with the rifle. I only paid $160 (in cabela's points) for it "brand spanky new"

I also got a Kodiak Pro in stainless after liking the Apex (when the Apex supplies run out). I loaned that Kodiak Pro to someone who fired it 10 months earlier and stored it uncleaned. I cleaned that rifle and there wasn't one bit of rust and no pitting whatsoever. Now its low humidity out here and I emphasize that everyone needs to clean their rifles when they get back from the range or the hunt, but I am CERTAIN it couldn't have come out so well had I not bought the stainless barrel.

A number of folks noted that it couldn't have come out like that in the climates where they live. That may be the case, but then having a SOLID stainless barrel would have to help.
WOW $160 in Cabela's Points! You spend almost as much as I do there! I have seen a few MLer's that were ruined after they were shot at the end of the season to empty the MLer out, then forgotten to clean for months. That was the death of them. You can go a few days, with no worries, but I would'nt go a few months. I cant remember, but is'nt the Win Apex almost the exact same thing as the Kodiak?
(BP)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the Win Apex is basically the same rifle as the Kodiak Pro. There are cosmetic differences though. The sights, the stock, the housing of the firing pin is black on the Kodiak Pro but stainless on the Apex. But other than that, the same rifle.

My particular Apex has a trigger pull around 4 lbs. The Kodiak pro is around 7.5. lbs. I intend to send it to CVA for a trigger set but just haven't gotten around to it.

I swear I ain't lying. Anyone who wants to peer inside that Kodiak Pro ... be my guest. There isn't a single pit in the bore whatsoever so to say the least, I am very pleased with the steel it is constructed from.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arcticap
No one is saying that Bergara barrels are bad...

... I'm only saying that there's no proof that they're any better than anyone elses barrels.
I used the same logic in purchasing the Apex and Kodiak Pro only I wasn't satisfied there was any proof anyone else's barrels were any better than the Apex or Kodiak Pro. I am satisfied I got way more than my money's worth. To date I've shot everything from roundballs to 460 grain conicals through them using Goex blackpowder and everything shoots well in these rifles. I'm tickled to death with them.

I am however tempted to get an accura but I need to get a 1" GMB .58 slow twist in flintlock and I want to get a 45 and 50 in the SS fast twist caplock barrel. So for my inlines ... for now ... I'm good.

Last edited by Pglasgow; 11-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the Win Apex is basically the same rifle as the Kodiak Pro. There are cosmetic differences though. The sights, the stock, the housing of the firing pin is black on the Kodiak Pro but stainless on the Apex. But other than that, the same rifle.

My particular Apex has a trigger pull around 4 lbs. The Kodiak pro is around 7.5. lbs. I intend to send it to CVA for a trigger set but just haven't gotten around to it.

I swear I ain't lying. Anyone who wants to peer inside that Kodiak Pro ... be my guest. There isn't a single pit in the bore whatsoever so to say the least, I am very pleased with the steel it is constructed from.
Im not totally sure on this one again, but I think you have just as good of a chance of rusting and pitting in a solid stainless steel barrel as a non stainless one, anyone correct me if Im wrong. Also you were one of the lucky ones if your barrel was'nt pitted. I know and Im not saying yours is'nt, but to see if there is any real damage you have to look in the barrel with a special tool to see any rust or pitting not seen with the naked eye.
As for trigger pull, 7 1/2lbs is too tight, I'd get er around 2-3lbs if possible. The trigger pull on the ACCURA's is so smooth I love it, it's somewhere in the 2+ range.
SUCCESS to you and Have a Safe and Happy Hunting Season!
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Spike

I had an early Omega and didn't take but one shooting session and i sold it for half what i paid. Maybe mine was a fluke but almost broke the ramrod trying to get a second sabot down the barrel. Was t/C brand and you should be able to get a second shot off without cleaning. Even clean it was a struggle. then it didn't shoot groups very good at all. Friend with me thought i was going to break the ramrod loading it. Not a good hunting gun for me. Went back to my old MK 85 knight and then to a rolling block and now the accura. Had a wolf also this year that worked very good and took a deer. So did the knight. Not a very good trigger on the omega for me.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by his guzzi
I had an early Omega and didn't take but one shooting session and i sold it for half what i paid. Maybe mine was a fluke but almost broke the ramrod trying to get a second sabot down the barrel. Was t/C brand and you should be able to get a second shot off without cleaning. Even clean it was a struggle. then it didn't shoot groups very good at all. Friend with me thought i was going to break the ramrod loading it. Not a good hunting gun for me. Went back to my old MK 85 knight and then to a rolling block and now the accura. Had a wolf also this year that worked very good and took a deer. So did the knight. Not a very good trigger on the omega for me.
One of the problems with TC Barrels is they are tight, especially the Triumph, I have a buddy who has a Triumph and he hates it because when were shooting our MLers he has a hell of a time loading after the first shot even with swabbing.
Back to the Topic and Bergara Barrels....I just recently found out how easily the SS ones clen up. I found that I like a slightly fouled barrel for Hunting as it is much more accurate. The other night I shot a Big Doe and I ran a patch down the barrel after firing it and cleaned the breechplug. Befor I ran a patch of Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner thru it I looked down the barrel and I was suprised at how clean the barrel was after just one shot, actually too clean with just one patch. After a range session the SS bergara Barrel cleans up far easier than any other barrel on any ML I own, no need to even use a Brass Brush or Nylon Brush, just solvent soaked patches, mabey 3 at most and it's clean. I love the Stainless Steel Bergara Barrel.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.