Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What is it about muzzle loaders? >

What is it about muzzle loaders?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is it about muzzle loaders?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is it about muzzle loaders?

So what is it about muzzle loaders? I can't say I'm a huge single shot fan. They are okay if they are a shotgun and I'm just shooting it for fun. However, as far as rifle in a single shot I just don't care to much for them. I don't really like to hunt with a single shot of anything unless it's just something like squirrels. However, for some reason I've found I love muzzle loaders especially hunting with them. They are a single shot but for some reason just more fun. You get to play with the loads a lot more which I really like. I find myself just having a good time when I shoot them. You have to clean them often and they require more up keep but something just makes me love shooting them. Anyone else like this? So what is it about them that make them so great? I can't tell you what it is as I don't know but I do know I love them for some odd reason.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Fork Horn

I suppose that it's different reasons for different people. Aside from just being fun to shoot they offer a little more challenge when using them to hunt. One thing I enjoy about shooting them is experimenting with different loads in an effort to find the load combination that will make my rifle shoot it's best.

In this hi-tech world we live in today they offer a step back in time that I really enjoy.

Another thing that I enjoy is the fact that I can take a pound of powder and 50 balls and shoot for hours. I can buy a box of .22 and a semi automatic rifle and shoot them up in a couple of minutes.

I have been shooting muzzeloaders since 1970 and it has been an ongoing learning experience. I am still learning new things about them.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the one shot challenge.
I tend to choose that type of hunting when offered a choice.
This year I have only hunted with Bow and ML and I will most likely shoot my ML the rest of general gun.

I like all the accrutrments that go with it as well,modern or trad.
I just Love it
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

A MLer is what you make it. A Mler has many different options involved to make it all that it can be. In the right hands and the right load it will be a true friend when Hunting Season comes along.
Cleaning and maintenance are fun for me as I know when all is done it is (Perfectly Clean) inside and out, and when I need it to fire it will. Unlike shotguns and rifles, most people after a hunt or target practice just clean the inside of the barrel and wipe it down and that's it. With a MLer you clean every part of it inside and out.
Then there's the (One Shot) only, the one shot makes you a better Hunter, you know you only have one shot so you only take your best shot if presented with it. If you had your shotgun or rifle you may take that (other) shot that you would'nt normally take if you had the Mler knowing you have (back up shots)
A Mler is like (life or death) either you take your one and only best shot and harvest your animal, or you pass and let em walk, there's no inbetween. I think the one shot rule is the only rule, you should'nt need a back up shot, if you do than you should have never taken the first shot weather you missed or wounded the animal, if that was the case you should have never shot to begin with as it was'nt your (best) shot.
I dont need back up shots to back me up, Im not bragging but I have never missed or lost an animal with my MLer, they have always been good clean heart or lung shot animals, that's the way all shots should be. During our Gun Season I always hear guy's shooting 5 times in a row, ya know they missed and should have never taken them shots to begin with, how many wounded animals have resulted from the (spray and pray)? You cant spray and pray with a MLer.
If you only hunt with a MLer because that's your only option for the season your hunting, then it's no fun. If all you ever use is your MLer (if you can) for gun and Mler Seasons than you Love Your MLer and Hunting with it, if you hunt with a shot gun or rifle during gun season, then just use your MLer for MLer Season, then you really dont have that (special bond) as a true traditional hunter.
My friends all think Im crazy for just using My MLer for gun season, they say what if you shoot a Doe and then a Big Buck comes by and you dont have that other shot. Well if that's the case then I shoul'nt have taken the Doe. A MLer makes you think befor you shoot, and you live with your best decesion.
I hope I have'nt offended any of you shotgun or rifle Hunters, but Im on this Forum because Im a True Die Hard Traditional One Shot Hunter, I'll never shoot a rifle or shotgun again for Hunting. I love the challange of knowing I only have one shot and that when the Mler goes off I (did it) not some bullet cartrage company.
That's why I love MLers.
(BP)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

I personally love the single shot. Around here people prefer to hunt with dogs. Within the last decade or so the number of people hunting with ML'ers has sky rocketed but look at how easy they are now. Got pellets, got electric instead of caps, got quick removable breech plugs, and so on.

I took my Hawkens that I spend almost 40hrs on building earlier this yr to work. Its a thing of beauty and I took that much time on it to make sure it was perfect. People (both hunters and non hunters) asked me if I plan to kill a deer with it, or how could I take it into the woods since its so nice.

Its a gun and is made to be shot. Took a buck with it this past Friday (2nd time the gun went into the woods) Nothing felt better than knowing that all the work I put into that gun, and then using it to take a deer with it.

Truth be told if I ever get a chance to take a monster buck that I get mounted I will retire this gun of its hunting duty. I will still shoot it for fun, however it will have a place on the wall with that buck.

Naturally I will have to buy another one and spend another 40 hours on building it to have another sidelock to hunt with.

Felt so rewarding to lay the smack down on a buck with the gun I shaped and finished.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I personally love the single shot. Around here people prefer to hunt with dogs. Within the last decade or so the number of people hunting with ML'ers has sky rocketed but look at how easy they are now. Got pellets, got electric instead of caps, got quick removable breech plugs, and so on.

I took my Hawkens that I spend almost 40hrs on building earlier this yr to work. Its a thing of beauty and I took that much time on it to make sure it was perfect. People (both hunters and non hunters) asked me if I plan to kill a deer with it, or how could I take it into the woods since its so nice.

Its a gun and is made to be shot. Took a buck with it this past Friday (2nd time the gun went into the woods) Nothing felt better than knowing that all the work I put into that gun, and then using it to take a deer with it.

Truth be told if I ever get a chance to take a monster buck that I get mounted I will retire this gun of its hunting duty. I will still shoot it for fun, however it will have a place on the wall with that buck.

Naturally I will have to buy another one and spend another 40 hours on building it to have another sidelock to hunt with.

Felt so rewarding to lay the smack down on a buck with the gun I shaped and finished.
Im sure your Hawkins would rather do some Hunting then hang on the Wall, just think how your gonna feel someday when your put out to pasture. You built it, you Love it, Hunt with it and Im sure it will return many favors.
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

For most of us it is the challenge of the hunt and the one shot. Same as traditional bowhunting. Part of the hunt is getting close. Other part is doing what our ancesters did and had one shot. Too many slob hunters blasting as many shells as they can at something and call it hunting. Think hunting in general would be better if all guns were single shots. Deer drives by me wound more deer than they get. shooting at anything running and at the ass end is not a good shot. If you have the skill to get close and the skill to wait and put the shot where it belongs then you are a hunter.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

They are just fun to shoot
RC
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

The one shot challenge is part of it. But for me its the fact that I personally am involved in every part of that rifle working properly. If I don't prepare it right, it misfires. If I don't clean it, it rusts. If I fail on making the load and loading procedures consistent, the accuracy fails. And then there is the satisfaction that if I do everything right, and I get my one chance and succeed, it was because of how I prepared myself, my rifle, and my hunting.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like history and give talks on the Revolutionary War...