Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
oiling the sabot when loading. >

oiling the sabot when loading.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

oiling the sabot when loading.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default oiling the sabot when loading.

A guy at the range recommend that a lube the sabot before loading he said he uses some kind think bore lube but gun oil would work. So i rubbed some on the sabots i was shooting today. The first four where ok about 2 1/2 inchgroups. The second four at 100 yards where way out of wack Two where high one was low and one was dead center. Could it be the oil fouling the barrel. Or could it be it just need some time after so many shots since it is a new rifle. Should i not oil the sabots? It seems like it is loading better after 15 or so shots anyway.

Also how can i get the screw in T handle for the tc ram rod. Like the one on the bone collector the triumph rod is threaded but i did not get the T handle.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use saliva to to lubricate a sabot if you must ... but do not use oil.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get a sabot MADE specifically for easy loading. Like the harvester crushed rib. For bbl break-in, I believe the general recommendation for MLs is bore-sized conicals--although I've never done it in either of my inlines to achieve their good groups.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely do not oil the sabots. As Pglasgow indicated, use a little saliva or nothing. The only sabot I know of that was actually designed to be lubed (NOT with oil) was the one made for the White Powerstar bullets.

And, as Big Z suggested, if your loads are going down with too much difficulty consider some Harvester crushed rib sabots.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

Do not lube your sabots, they are self lubricating when shot out of the barrel. If they are difficult to load then a bit of saliva on the outside of the cup can help slide them down.

Next if they are that difficult to load - then find a different sabot. In todays world there are may different thcknesses of 50 cal sabots that will make the loading of a bore a mageable task. I personally do not like the 'crush rib' sabot unless it is absolutely necessary, find out what the sabot you are using is and go to the next sabot thinner. You have this option with 50 cal sabots and less options with 44 cal and 40 cal sabots.

The Triumph normally has a very tight bore, especially when new. Usually it will loosen up as you break in the barrel. When I first got my Triump - I could not load anything easily down the bore. I ended up working the bore with JB's bore paste. That smoothed and polished the bore so now I am able to load regular sabots and projectiles in the rifle with the normal 30 lbs of pressure on the ram rod.

Good luck with that new gun - it is a good one - just take your time learning how to manage it... there is no really big hurry.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Spike

Seems a common problem with T/C that the bores are tight. Never oil the sabot. Is one reason i gave up on them and switched guns. Too hard to get a second bullet down and don't have time to swab between shots on a deer if ever needed. I am sure there are some bullet combo that works ok or like some do use a past and lap the barrel. Just not worth the problems for me. I do have a t/C Hawken but is a patched round ball which i can control ok.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabots should never be lubricated. If the first one down a clean bore is too tight, get a looser fitting sabot (like the Crush Rib or MMP HPH24 and 3-petal sabots). If the first one loads ok, but the second one is too tight, then you need to swab your bore better between shots.

Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I take a patch with silicone run it through and then load. Be sure the patch is almost dry and do not saturate the patch. My groups are 2" at 100 yards, If you can hit the pie plate at 100 yards then your good.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

I use the harvester crush rib sabot in my t/c thunderhawk 50 cal. otherwise you will only get one down the barrel and no second shot with out cleaning the bore.