HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is it about muzzle loaders?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

A MLer is what you make it. A Mler has many different options involved to make it all that it can be. In the right hands and the right load it will be a true friend when Hunting Season comes along.
Cleaning and maintenance are fun for me as I know when all is done it is (Perfectly Clean) inside and out, and when I need it to fire it will. Unlike shotguns and rifles, most people after a hunt or target practice just clean the inside of the barrel and wipe it down and that's it. With a MLer you clean every part of it inside and out.
Then there's the (One Shot) only, the one shot makes you a better Hunter, you know you only have one shot so you only take your best shot if presented with it. If you had your shotgun or rifle you may take that (other) shot that you would'nt normally take if you had the Mler knowing you have (back up shots)
A Mler is like (life or death) either you take your one and only best shot and harvest your animal, or you pass and let em walk, there's no inbetween. I think the one shot rule is the only rule, you should'nt need a back up shot, if you do than you should have never taken the first shot weather you missed or wounded the animal, if that was the case you should have never shot to begin with as it was'nt your (best) shot.
I dont need back up shots to back me up, Im not bragging but I have never missed or lost an animal with my MLer, they have always been good clean heart or lung shot animals, that's the way all shots should be. During our Gun Season I always hear guy's shooting 5 times in a row, ya know they missed and should have never taken them shots to begin with, how many wounded animals have resulted from the (spray and pray)? You cant spray and pray with a MLer.
If you only hunt with a MLer because that's your only option for the season your hunting, then it's no fun. If all you ever use is your MLer (if you can) for gun and Mler Seasons than you Love Your MLer and Hunting with it, if you hunt with a shot gun or rifle during gun season, then just use your MLer for MLer Season, then you really dont have that (special bond) as a true traditional hunter.
My friends all think Im crazy for just using My MLer for gun season, they say what if you shoot a Doe and then a Big Buck comes by and you dont have that other shot. Well if that's the case then I shoul'nt have taken the Doe. A MLer makes you think befor you shoot, and you live with your best decesion.
I hope I have'nt offended any of you shotgun or rifle Hunters, but Im on this Forum because Im a True Die Hard Traditional One Shot Hunter, I'll never shoot a rifle or shotgun again for Hunting. I love the challange of knowing I only have one shot and that when the Mler goes off I (did it) not some bullet cartrage company.
That's why I love MLers.
(BP)