Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ever lost a deer to coyotes?? >

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

That yote is good sized. I had the opportunity to take a white one during our deer season but a doe appeared and I shot her instead. The pack around where I hunt are chasing the turkeys and we need to clear out the herd. Some big ones that size, and we also have to make sure that they are not dogs as we can be prosecuted for killing dogs during gun season now in Missouri. Years past we could kill dogs, we never seen any on the property but neighbors were killing them as they were chasing deer.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Nice timing.

Last Saturday afternoon I was bowhunting in Michigan. I was hunting on some private land where the owner will only allow me to shoot does. About 15 minutes before sunset two nice does come by me at about 15 yards. I take the smaller 1 1/2 year old doe when she is slightly quartering away at 15 yards. Perfect heart shot.

I ride back to the owners house and unload my ATV to drag it back. Total turn around time was only 45 minutes from the time I shot it till I found it. The coyotes already ate 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of meat from the hindquarters.

When the deer were eating acorns they kept looking down toward the swamp every couple seconds. While on stand I thought they were waiting for a trailing buck....now I think it was coyotes that had their attention.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
That yote is good sized. I had the opportunity to take a white one during our deer season but a doe appeared and I shot her instead. The pack around where I hunt are chasing the turkeys and we need to clear out the herd. Some big ones that size, and we also have to make sure that they are not dogs as we can be prosecuted for killing dogs during gun season now in Missouri. Years past we could kill dogs, we never seen any on the property but neighbors were killing them as they were chasing deer.
There's a (All Black Coyote) on a pice of property we Hunt and I've been trying for this one for 2 years now, he's a Beauty. He always seems to be just out or range when I see him. Some of my buddies have had shots at him but he always manages to escape any bullets. I hate to say this but I hope he survived last winter.
(BP)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

One friend found youtes on a deer he had just shot with his bow minutes before. It no longer happens because we shoot the youtes every chance we get. When the season is closed for every thing else we pull out our calls and home made E callers (Varmit Al's web site has plans) and here(http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=20626). we hunt them egressively. The population has been thined so much that places where we used to shoot 6 or 7 a year we don't even hear tham any more.
If your not into saving the hides a ML works great. Most of us use 22 center fires or 243-6MM rifles. Of course there are the ones who like to be close and personal so use shot guns and #4 buck. A lot of places here in Michigan has tournaments.
there is also the 3 S method.

Al
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Breechplug, I hear you loud and clear, if i see the white ghost he's mine. The only problem is with a 50 cal bullet that hide can get messed up a bit.