Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ever lost a deer to coyotes?? >

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Many years ago, I was bowhunting in the next county south of where I now sit. I was trying to do some stalk hunting (which I was pretty good at back then). I eased out of the woods to see three large yotes eating a deer which they had obviously just taken down.

They didn't see me at first, so I started directly toward them thinking to put an arrow in one of them. The had at first been about 50 yards away and I perhaps made 5 yards toward them before they spotted me. I figured they would bolt away at the sight of me as most every other coyote I had ever encountered would have done.

But NOOOOOO!... those big boys got side by side between me and their kill and started advancing toward ME! I shouted, no effect. They were snarling and growling as if I was going to be desert.

I turned a left the opening, back into the timber from which I came, while keeping an eye over my shoulder. They didn't follow, thankfully. That old recurve didn't seem like much of a weapon all of a sudden.

Never before and never since have I seen coyotes act so fearlessly and aggressively. Put the hair on the back of my head at attention!

Did you guys read of that young woman being attacked by two coyotes in Canada just recently. She died shortly afterward from her wounds. KILL THEM ALL!
Too bad you didn't have an AR instead of a recurve, the world would have been minus 3 aggressive coyotes, and a little better place. Coyote attack people all the time in California. The envirocommies have made it hard to control their population, and because of the lack of human predation the yotes have become very bold. I've found many stories of hikers and joggers attacked by coyotes, some fatally, but the worst is that there has been a rash of toddler and preschool aged kids attacked on playgrounds and killed before the parents or caregivers had any chance to intervene.

And to think that the same enviro-whackos want to reintroduce large packs of wolves near human inhabited areas, because the coyotes, apparently, aren't dangerous enough.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coy-dogs run in packs like wolves and are more aggressive toward people than wolves, they also get quite a bit bigger than a coyote while looking just like them most of the time. I believe it has to do with dominate genes. Lee
Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug's pics.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a big coyote skin you have there. And nice too. Also that old dog of yours reminds me so much of my old dog. Beautiful dog there you got.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee, a regular coyote is a derned vicious animal not to be taken for granted. I don't think the ones I encountered were mixed... they had just been eating a lot of good vension.

I also think they kill far more deer than most people would believe.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that's a coyote, or if it's a hybrid, it's mostly coyote. Big SOB, too. Glad he hanging from your wall and from my 2 year olds throat.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for posting the pics UC. Again, the coyote measures 65" from tip of the nose to tip of the tail, 5'5" total length. My Black Lab weighs 90lbs. Im 6'6" tall. This is the best I can do for proving how big they get as I did'nt take any pics of the coyote when I got him. If anyone see's a resemblance to (coydogs) let me know. As far as I know there just full bred coyotes.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
That is a big coyote skin you have there. And nice too. Also that old dog of yours reminds me so much of my old dog. Beautiful dog there you got.
Thank's cayugad, I love em, he'll be 8 on Dec 25th. Since he was born on Christmas, the holy day, the sabbath, we named him Sabbath. He posed for the pic knowing he's get a biscut. He's still a great Duck Getter, old age has'nt slowed him down yet.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Yep, that's a coyote, or if it's a hybrid, it's mostly coyote. Big SOB, too. Glad he hanging from your wall and from my 2 year olds throat.

Mike
So is he bigger than you expected? When I get some pics of the bigger ones taken this season I'll get them posted. Every year here we hear stories of packs of coyotes surrounding hunters in there tree stands, killing peoples pets and attacking people. Our problem is there is'nt enough hunters hunting them, they grow big and eat the crap out of our deer and turkeys. I'd kill more of em but they show up at the wrong times, at first light when the deer are moving to there bedding grounds, or at last light when the deer are comming out into the corn and soybean fields, so we dont shoot to avoid spooking the deer.
But when we get sick enough of seeing too many and cant take it anymore we let em have it!
(BP)
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

we have HUGE yote's in new york,heck there almost as big as our TAXES........karl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.