Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ever lost a deer to coyotes?? >

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

I see on some of the hunting shows that people wait til the next morning to look for their deer, especially bow hunters. Around here if you waited til morning to look for a deer all you would find would be a half eaten deer. Anybody ever lose a deer to coyotes that way?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been lucky. We have wolves and coyotes around here, but I never lost a deer to one. I have found deer that the wolves and coyotes recovered for someone.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

i did 3 years ago and i didn't wait till morning. on the particular afternoon my wife wanted to go with me, so at about sundown i shot a nice doe. it was a long ways back to the truck so my wife wanted to go home since it was late and i could return for the doe. i came back with a flashlight and found her about 75yds. from where i shot her, but so did the coyotes about 6-8 of them. when i walked up on them i was a little nervous cause i left my gun at home. i hollered at them they turned and growled and snarled at me, a few ran but most stayed so i lost my doe because of them. i have killed several turkey hunting when i was calling and they thought they would get a turkey dinner but instead they got lead poisning.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't, but I found a deer carcass that had been shot and obvious scavenged by coyote. Wasn't very pretty. This deer was probably the victim of the road poachers that seem to be so common in the area I was hunting.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't thankfully, though this year I have spoken to tow guys that have lost deer to wolves the same day as the kill.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I lost one a few years ago during archery season. I hit a spike buck one evening and waited a half hour before starting to trail. What I was sure was a good hit. After about 100 yds, I saw it jump up and run off so I backed out. The next morning I picked up the trail and found 1/2 of him within 75 yds of where I jumped him. Both hind quarters were gone and most of the backstrap on one side. I left him for the coyotes to finish off. Not much else I could do.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have and so have a few of my Friends. And it's usually during Archery Season. Even on a good hit we usually will give the deer at least an hour befor we go looking, unless we see the deer go down. Where we hunt there's a-lot of Red Brush and real thick blow downs so we dont want to push a deer into this stuff because we'd risk the chance of never finding it.
We never let the deer sit over night unless we see that the hit was a bad one, (Gut-shot, Liver, to high, to low) it happens to the best of us, and we pray overnight that the coyotes dont find a wounded deer. But even after we have waited a hour we have found the deer's hind quarters eaten by Coyotes, and it sucks to find that!
We have a-lot of coyotes around here and we usually take a bunch during gun season, and after the season, there's no limit on coyotes and they can be taken any time day or night (Oct 1st-March 28th) WE HATE COYOTES!!!!! Tonight while I was in My Archery stand I heard them Howling ans saw 2, and as I write this they are howling accross the street in my woods, there everywhere! and we have some BIG ones, 70lbs+++
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might loose one to some dogs this year. I went by the field my stand sits on. One of the three dogs that scared the 11 point io had a shot on was standing by the field. LEt it walk by me when i have a muzzy in my hand. I hate to shoot a dog but i doubt i will be able to let them scare another 11 point off.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised you have a limited season for coyote. Here coyote are legal year round, with no restrictions on shooting hours or bag limits. All you have to have is a valid small game hunting license and you're good.

I'm betting that the 70+ pounders you speak of aren't coyotes, but probably feral dogs, but they are as much of a problem just the same.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
I'm surprised you have a limited season for coyote. Here coyote are legal year round, with no restrictions on shooting hours or bag limits. All you have to have is a valid small game hunting license and you're good.

I'm betting that the 70+ pounders you speak of aren't coyotes, but probably feral dogs, but they are as much of a problem just the same.

Mike
Yes we should be able to hunt them buggers all year round here, with all the pets (small dogs, cats) being eaten by them, eventually they will give in and we'll be able to.
And I know mabey a 70+ Lb Coyote is hard for you to imagine, but there taken here all the time, and I also have taken one. I have the hide tanned fom the one I got and if some one wants to put the picture on here I'll e-mail it to you and you can for me.
Im 6'6" tall and me holding the tanned hide will show you just how big they get here. I'd post the pic myself but I still have to get with sabotloader so he can walk me through the steps.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.