Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
#11 caps vs Musket Caps >

#11 caps vs Musket Caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#11 caps vs Musket Caps

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default #11 caps vs Musket Caps

So you probably have read my other thread where I'm having problems now that I didn't use to have about getting my #11 caps to go off. My buddy is telling me how #11 caps are probably the problem which I'm not sure I disagree with. He told me I should go get the musket cap nipple and some musket caps. That they are much much better and will probably go off. Is this worth trying? Are they really better or is there a downside to them?

Just wondering if that might fix my problem or if I should stick with #11 caps.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Whether they are better, in your case they sure can not hurt. Musket caps fire the rifle just fine too. All you can do it try it.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

It seems to me that with all you've already tried, the only thing left is a weak spring. If that's the case musket caps won't help.

I don't know what kind of spring that gun has, but the TruValue hardware in my area stocks a pretty wide variety of springs. Maybe you could find one that would work, or double up with yours as a booster.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to cayugad and he says he highly doubts it's a weak spring. I will say it seems to hit the nipple pretty darn hard so I'm not sure why the cap isn't going off. He said he has a rifle that does this too.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If that spring is strong enough to set that cap and then fire it on the second shot, I doubt the spring is the problem. On my Wolverine, I noticed that the #11 tries to off set it self too. When I load the #11 with a straight line capper, I really push that cap on hard. When the nipple is clean, it will normally fire. When all else fails, I put the cap on loose, **** the rifle and fire it to set the cap, then I know the next one is going to fire it. I then load the rifle and do what I want to do.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Is your nipple completly clear??? (can see clean hole through it)...I like CCI mag #11s....and I drop the hammer down lightly push the cap on for a good seat....never never had problem with them going off. TC makes a SS nipple that has a slighlty larger firs hole....could try that too
There is another manufacture of #11 caps that are real hot too...cant remember the name....its German and the tin cover is red.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by djdkman
Is your nipple completly clear??? (can see clean hole through it)...I like CCI mag #11s....and I drop the hammer down lightly push the cap on for a good seat....never never had problem with them going off. TC makes a SS nipple that has a slighlty larger firs hole....could try that too
There is another manufacture of #11 caps that are real hot too...cant remember the name....its German and the tin cover is red.
The nipple is brand new. I tried both a T/C regular standard #11 cap one and a brand new T/C hot shot #11 cap one. My old one did have a bigger hold but it also wouldn't work which is why I replaced it. Not sure who made the old one. For caps I've tried these Winchester Magnum #11 ones WallyWorld sells. The Remingtons I had 5 of. 3 I put on by hand and went off the 4th I put on with the capper and it did the same thing as the Winchester. I also had some old ones that I got when I got the gun. I fired them off and they did the same thing. A couple fired first try but several required two shots to set them off. I'm not sure what brand. They don't look like the Winchester exactly but close and not at all like the Remingtons as they aren't green inside. Seems like they go off a lot more if I leave them loose on the nipple instead of pressing them all the way on. Almost like if it gets to push it against the nipple hard it then sets it off but I don't know.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

After playing with it I have a feeling it's going to be that spring that needs replacing. Is this something a local gunsmith should have or am I going to basically more than likely have to just wait until I can order one or something? Kind of wish I had a common rifle right now.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

dang...gota agree then...sounds like you are not getting enough drop from the hammer
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Hey ..last quick question....have you tried adjusting the torque on the screw holding on the hammer? My T/C Hawken's hammer will ride the edge of the stock if the screw is smoked too tight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.