Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 1845 Colt 45 cal. cap and ball >

1845 Colt 45 cal. cap and ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1845 Colt 45 cal. cap and ball

Old 05-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Spike

Default 1845 Colt 45 cal. cap and ball

My brother has the opportunity to purchase this handgun. His interest is purely for collection purposes. Can anyone give me any information or websites so that I may help him on his decission on whether to buy it or not. Thanks in advance for your assistance in advance.
Alan D
Old 05-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1845 Colt 45 cal. cap and ball

You didn' t mention if it' s an original Colt or a reproduction? I' m sure you' re talking about a reproduction?If it' s an original Colt I would check Colt' s site out .www.colt.com. If it' s a repro it' s probably not much for collection purposes. These repro' s are a dime a dozen. If your brother wants a real shooter invest a little more and buy the Ruger " Old Army" .The original Colts are bring big money now.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-27-2003, 06:37 AM

Redhawk is right. If it is an orginal it will be worth serval thousands of dollars, and I would have it appraised by someone that: 1- really knows what its worth, and 2- can tell you if it is a knock off that someone is trying to portray as an original.

If you brother is looking at getting a cap n ball reproduction, most run for less than $200 new. The problem with any used black powder gun, is that often the orignal owner didn' t clean it properly, so check the barrel and cylinder very carefully for corrosion.

If he' s planning on shooting it - orginals must be checked over throughly by a good gun smith. Used reproductions should too, just it case the orignal owner did something stupid. I' ve got an article on my site that covers the basics of cap-n-ball shooting.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it is an 1845 model Colt, and is actually .45 caliber, it may be exceedingly rare, since there were .44 caliber Colt Cap & Ball revolvers (Walker and Dragoon) models in that approximate time frame, but I have never heard of an " 1845 .45 caliber cap & ball Colt" .... Am not sure there ever was such a critter. To the best of my knowledge, Colt never made a .45 caliber revolver until the advent of the Single Action Army in .45 Colt caliber in 1873, and this one was a cartridge arm, not C & B !!

IF this gun has truly been represented to your brother as an " 1845 Colt Cap & Ball revolver, in .45 caliber" , have it checked by an expert for authenticity before parting with any cash!! There are a lot of fakes and forgeries in the Colt field from that era!!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys gave him good advice. I never heard of a 1845 either but then again I' m not really up on the Old Original Colt' s.I have a few Colt BP Pistols but they are the Second Generation.(?) I have a 1851 Navy, 1862 Pocket Police and a 1860 Army in S/S. There was a limited run of them by Colt in Stainless Steel.I' ve been thinking about selling them.I' m sure the S/S one would be worth a considerable amount since it was a limited production. The 1862 has been fired a few times by previous owner. The 1851 and 1860 are NIB Unfired.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-29-2003, 07:08 AM

I had a thought on the .45 Cal, since I' ve never heard of a .45 c-n-b revolver, but like Redhawk I' m not an expert on what Colt produced and when, but is it possible you are getting the .45 from the ball size. When shooting a C-n-B revolver you normally use a larger ball than the actual caliber. For example in my .44 I shoot both a .451 and a .454. When the ball is seated a thin ring of lead is shaved off the ball, this make a very tight seal between the ball and clyinder, and keeps the ball seated through the recoil when other clyinders are fired.

I don' t know about the year.