Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powerbelt ?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default powerbelt ?

Just wondering I have heard alot about this bullet not holding up too well. Is that just the pure lead bullet or is that the aero tip copper series as well. I shoot a 50 cal omega and was thinking of trying the 295gr aerotips w/ 100 grains of 777 ( two 50gr pellets) will this bullet take that much powder or not thought somebody out there might offer there bits of wisdom thanks in advance I really appreciate all the help from the muzzloading vetrans out there
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Drop it down to 80gr and you'll be all set. 100gr T7 is much to hot for the 295gr powerbelt.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, even the instructions say 90 grains max if I remember right, and that is loose powder.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have nothing but great things to say about the powerbelt! Just harvested a nice 15 point Kansas monster buck herehttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-15-point.html
I am shooting a CVA Buckhorn magnum 50 cal. 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a powerbelt copper series in 295 grain. A winning combination.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

I have had nothing but problems with them. I just got through helping a friend who had the same problem, accuracy. we tried to use different powder loads and nothing helped. I was using an Encore and NEF Sidekick. My Friend has a CVA.

Maybe some have a gun that works well with them. I just haven't found one yet.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Spike

I have never had a problem with them. In my rifles they are accurate, easy to load, and very effective on game.
The trick is to load a heavy for caliber bullet, and keep the charges down. My last deer was with the 405 Gr. in front of 70 Gr. 2f Goex. Equal to the original 45-70 loading. Deer dropped like it was hit by lightning. I see no problem with them.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Never had a problem here. 245gr areotip over 2 pellets of 777 with a 209 primer. The gun that uses the Powerbelts is the CVA .50 Kodiak Mag. Always had passthrough shots with no apparent problems. I have killed 5-6 deer in last couple years with this load. Ranges were as close as 15 yards out to 110 yards.

You are going to here opinions each way on the Powerbelt, Shockwaves, etc... Let us know what you come up with.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are many viewpoints on PB's. I did not have any trouble getting them to shoot accurate but I had to use 110gr and up to do it, the problem with that is the only way I could keep them from fragmenting after they hit was to turn brass or aluminium point and plug the hollow point with them. Now some people like a bullet that fragments, but if you use them that way be careful to only take broad side shots as the penetration is very limited. At that time choices for using an inline in certain states was very limited. Now there are other good choices like the Thor and the FPB, if you are forced to use a conical. If you live where you can use sabots a good bullet in a sabot is a much better choice for flatter trajectory for any longer range shooting. I have had very good results with the Hornady FPB and some have had good results with the Thor there are also some others available like the Bull Shop and No Excuses.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I use 100 gr 2-777 pellets and 295gr hollow point PB in my CVA optima. Have never had any problems. Have killed 3 deer with this combination.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

I use 245 gr with 100 gr of pyro pellets in my optima and it shoots awsome, but every gun is different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.