Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ffG vs. fffG?

Old 05-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ffG vs. fffG?

PS Mark Wiz, I have not found a moisture problem with the clean shot powder, I got all nervous when they were talking going out of biz during the suit and picked up 3 jugs. Been shooting fine thru almost 2 of them in close to a year. I do store them (as I do with all my powders) in a 20 mm ammo can with desicant packs in a cool,dry dark place in the house. The stuff isnt cheap, dont just throw it in the garage. Pick a place that the temps remain consistant and you should not have a problem.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying some Triple 7 in 2f, and also picked up some 405gr Lead HP Powerbelts. Went out for a little while today and shot the Triple 7. Was fairly impressed with it' s performance. I could tell that it had a little more pep with the 90grains as compared to Pyrodex RS. I even tried 100grain loads with the Powerbelt and a 385gr maxi that I had. I wouldn' t want to do that all day, especially since my Renegade doesn' t have a recoil pad.[]

I' ve still got to work on my load some more, but after 12-15 shots I had NO hangfires. I couldn' t have said the same thing if I' d been shooting my Pyrodex RS. I always get at least 1 every outing. Again, thanks for all the info. Now I just have to spend some time shooting with a good rest, and play around a little with charges. I think next time I' ll drop it down to 80 grains of Triple 7, and see what happens.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like you' ve done good, slee!

I warned you that 100gr of 777 made quite an " impact" ! []

Just keep playing with the powder charge until you find the " sweet spot" for your rifle. You might also just try the 348gr bullets too, to see if they offer any better accuracy (they should need about 10gr less 777 than the 405s).

Good Shootin' to ya!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:56 AM

Slee, read the package on bp. I teach hunter education and the rules are as follows, 4F for primer only, 3F for up to 50cal., 2F for 50 and above, 1f for cannons and such. I use 3F in my 50cal. hawkens and I don' t have to clean after every shot at the range. I have not experamented too much with 777 or clean shot but I can tell you pyrodex don' t like moisture. I load my rifle the night before the hunt and if it' s rainy the day of the hunt just put a piece of saran wrap over the front of your barrel. It won' t effect your accuracy at all, try it at the range, you' ll see. Best of luck what ever you use, Al