Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

fffg 777 too hot?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Default fffg 777 too hot?

Greetings
I recently purchased a Knight Wolverine 26" SS with the 209 ignitiontopped witha Redfield 3x9 andplan on bagging a couple whitetails this season with my new toy. I have not fired it yet, but plan on shooting some(40) 405gr PowerBelts loaded with (2) 50gr 777 pellets to dust it off and find the paper. I also purchased a quantity of Buffalo SSB 325gr HPBT SPTZ which I hope hunt with. At issue is this: I havea pound of777 fffg powder and would like to use it if possible during hunting season, however I've read that such a fine grain powder might not be a wise choice with the heavier .50 bore sabots. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

I can't imagine taking a shot over 150yds in the territory I hunt.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: fffg 777 too hot?

Any of the Knight videos you watch they tell you to use FFg grade powder in the Knight rifles. I personally shoot Goex 3f in my Wolverine II and my new Knight Disc. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I have also shot Triple Se7en but only in FFg grade because I have never found it in FFFg grade.

Good luck with your rifle. If those powderbelts and SSB's don't shoot well for you, give some 240 & 300 grain XTP's a try in the rifle. They shoot well out of my rifles. Also I shoot 250 grain Barnes Expanders and they shoot real well, but are kind of expensive to shoot....
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with sticking to FFF 777. I use it with 110 grains loose sometimes. In comparison to other FFF-FF rivals, 777 yields the least amount of added 777 pressures.... energy probably equal to an extra 5 grains of FF using under 90 grains -- energy probably equal to an extra 10 grains FF when using 90-120 grains.

I do not recommend 120 grains 777 FFF, but the rifle can handle it as well as three 50-gr. pellets. My favorite load right now is 105 gr. 777 with a 240-250 bullet.... 90 gr. with a 200 gr. bullet.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:47 PM

I use 777 fffg in my remington, works pretty well. Just remember to load down because it burns faster than pyrodex ffg by a considerable amount.

You can feel the difference in recoil as well. If you are going to shoot anything over 90 grns of powder and a 405 grn bullet you best hold on when you pull the trigger.

Paul
Old 09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hodgdon has load data for the FFF T7 right on the bottle for rifle use so I would not be afraid at all to use it. And I have, I love it. Not much fouling instant ignition and good down range results.

I have used it with up to 90g charges in my Scout and 80g in sidelocks.

Interesting to note if you read the load data from both the FF and FFF T7 there is not much difference in results. So I would say use either and you will be ok but use the FFF if you have ignition problems.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:34 AM

Many Thanks to all. As a beginner with muzzleloading rifles I just wanted to bounce this off some experienced ears to make sure I wasn't missing some basic, or possibly deadly, principle. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
In comparison to other FFF-FF rivals, 777 yields the least amount of added 777 pressures....
Absolutely not! Anytime you switch from 2F powder to3F powder you will get a higher pressure spike. Triple seven being hotter than Pyrodex (RS to P there) and Blackpowder will produce an even higher pressurespike. Anytime you switch from a 2F powder to 3F powder load it down and work back up (10% on Pyrodex/Black is probably a good rule of thumb).Triple seven being 15-20% hotter than Pyrodex it's a good rule of thumb to load it down by at least 20%. For example, I use it in a GPR and 75 gr of 3F blows the patch while 75 gr of 2F doesn't (1/60 twist). No problem there it's rated for 115 gr of blackpowder (I think).I also use 3F in my Hawkeye and Knight says 60 gr of FFFG is absolute max with a 240 gr bullet(70 gr of pyrodex/blackpowder max charge) which is 15% less than max.

And just in case anyone wonders, pellets produce the lowest pressure spike of all as they burn progressively down the bore. Probably why in cold weather my Knight will just pop powerbelts out with the burning pellets.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
In comparison to other FFF-FF rivals, 777 yields the least amount of added 777 pressures....
Absolutely not! Anytime you switch from 2F powder to3F powder you will get a higher pressure spike.
=================================

You are absolutely wrong for improperly reading my post.
When I put notice in my posts to increase powder by this much with less powder grains & increase powder by that much with more powder grains, well.... does that not signal an increased pressure warning???

I was not wrong when I stated changing from ff to fff with777 powders yields less pressure changes than doing the same with real blackpowder or Pyrodex. There's very little difference between FF and FFF 777. The components inside those 777 granules will not allow itto fire consistently/instantaneusly in sidelocks had theyproduced it much coarser in ff. The result would of been inconsistent pressure & the creation of granule chunks. You can't find this powder in F and FFFF, but some others you can.

It's the same reasoning with Black Mag. We no longer see Black Mag 2 because it was toocoarse & inconsistent with pressures. BM3 is much-more stabilized -- much-more pressure balanced.

I'm done here. Got more problems with my post? It doesn't surprise me. Go ask whom yourefer to as yourML King for a more explanable answer on this. Also... go read Hodgdon's siteabout 777 & it's pressure-related wordings for an even-better source on how closely both powder types actually are for ML service.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Nothing wrong with sticking to FFF 777. I use it with 110 grains loose sometimes. In comparison to other FFF-FF rivals, 777 yields the least amount of added 777 pressures.... energy probably equal to an extra 5 grains of FF using under 90 grains -- energy probably equal to an extra 10 grains FF when using 90-120 grains.

I do not recommend 120 grains 777 FFF, but the rifle can handle it as well as three 50-gr. pellets. My favorite load right now is 105 gr. 777 with a 240-250 bullet.... 90 gr. with a 200 gr. bullet.
The only reason I objected is because your post is not clear. You also make no mention of manufacturers in your post. CVA for example says no more than 90 gr of loose 777 even in their "magnum" guns (asked right after 777 pellets came out).

Also since you referenced Hodgdon, 100 gr of any muzzleloadingpowder they make is max in any 50 caliber. But as I mentioned above not all gun makers allow that in their guns.

Before you make broad assurances you need to clarify things. Erring on the side of safety is the only responsible thing to do. There's absolutely no way to know what everyone reading these posts have for muzzleloaders. I wonder how many of them even know what muzzleloader your using. When I read that post I had this picture in my mind of someone trying it with their CVA and making a visit to the hospital. What's worse it would have been their fault for not verifying the data prior to use.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

The only reason I objected is because your post is not clear. You also make no mention of manufacturers in your post. CVA for example says no more than 90 gr of loose 777 even in their "magnum" guns (asked right after 777 pellets came out).

Also since you referenced Hodgdon, 100 gr of any muzzleloadingpowder they make is max in any 50 caliber. But as I mentioned above not all gun makers allow that in their guns.

Before you make broad assurances you need to clarify things. Erring on the side of safety is the only responsible thing to do. There's absolutely no way to know what everyone reading these posts have for muzzleloaders. I wonder how many of them even know what muzzleloader your using. When I read that post I had this picture in my mind of someone trying it with their CVA and making a visit to the hospital. What's worse it would have been their fault for not verifying the data prior to use.
=================================

My reply gives clear indication to whom I was speaking to. Hodgdon tells you on their site to follow the rifle manufacturer's recommendations for powder volume. Read the "WARNING" at the top of this below link.

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven/loadnote.php

This web-link below is for the Knight Wolverine. Every model on this page allows 150 grains.

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Wolverine209

Would you like to see the same thing on T/C 's website with their inlines? I would never suggest to a BPI rifle owner to use more than their manufacturer allows. The first sentence of my original posts gives a good indication to whom I was talking to. My reply might say "to Cayugad"... but my intended reply to him was re-worded after reviewing it& intended for the thread-starter. Even Cayugad knows the warnings from powder & ML manufacturers.

Quick Reply: fffg 777 too hot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.